cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting MTU on FE interfaces. Lack of documentation?

BENJAMIN TAN
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to find out

1. Which FE hardware supports >1500 byte MTU. (e.g. PA-FE-TX, PA-2FE-TX, HWIC-4ESW, HWIC-2FE, Fa0/0 on a 2811?)

2. What IOS version is necessary to effect this support (if IOS dependent at all).

3. What's the maximum MTU size which can be set with respect to (1) and (2) above.

What I've found so far is only a doc talking about Jumbo Frame support on Catalyst switches (not what I need).

Searching this NetPro forum seems to indicate that I'm not the only one looking for info along the lines stated above. I'm ok with searching and reading documention but the "feature" of whether a card has a "user settable MTU" doesn't appear to be mentioned in any docs at all. (Or am I mistaken?). Any Cisco guys reading this?

Option 2: We can go the "opensource" route. I ask everyone who might be interested to the answer to this to help compile the following matrix:

[Platform, Card, IOS ver, Max MTU]

Is there a less painful way to get the answers?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Errr ... nearly every Cisco router, switches, etc support Jumbo Frames. Just what exactly are you trying to do?

No, FE on cisco routers supports only standard MTU. If you need jumbo frames, get GE interfaces.

Quite a few FE ports DO support >1500 MTU even if not 9K MTU (which isn't what I'm asking).

e.g.

[C1801, Fa0, any, 1600]

Not the ISR routers.

C2811 ISR Fa0/x supports 1600 bytes.

Not on the FE ports.

GE ports, sure.

e.g.

[C720xVXR, PA-FE-TX, SRD1, 1530]

[C750x, PA-FE-TX in VIP4-50, 122.25S14, 1500]

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: