cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to update the config of multiple routers and switches?

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to update the config of multiple routers and switches. For changes which affect every router and switch such as changing the ip address of the tacacs server we have to manually change the config on every device which is very time consumuing. Surely there must be a better way of doing this?

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, you will need to look into implementing network management software for it. With snmp push, you can actively change the config.

Network management software like Cisco Works or Nagios can do this in an automated way, once snmp read/write access has been provided to the relevant nodes that you need to re-configure.

I would start on doing research in that direction.

alternatively you might want to run a script from a Telnet client (such as secure CRT) that adds a desired command line

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

If you have SecureCRT, I can provide a script that will do this for you. Just to add another app that can help, Solarwinds Network Configuration Manager.

If you can provide a script that would be great. I've not got SecureCRT but will download the trial version now.

Many Thanks

Darren

You will need to create the file C:\IOS-Passwword.txt In this file is the IP's of the devices you want to connect to. It should be in the format:

The script is for changing a password, however take a look at the script and you'll see you can change it to do anything you like. Here's a reference as well.

https://packetpros.com/netmon/SecureCRT.html

Thanks very much I'll give it a go.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card