cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic DNS entries for routers-can it be done?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

Let me throw this out there as I don't think it can be done, but curiosity got me. Can I have my routers automatically register with DNS like a normal workstation does, or do they have to be manually configured?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

manually configured.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I'm not sure now that Edison has posted.

I was under the impression that you could do this assuming your router is using DHCP to set the interface address. If you hardcode the address then no it can't be done -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3y/12_3ya8/gt_ddns.html

Jon

Jon,

Yes, with DHCP can be done along with DDNS but that's useful on PPPoE Client or Cable Modem scenario. I think John was more inline of router name discovery on an enterprise network.

This process is done manually.

Thanks Jon/Edison. I wouldn't be using DHCP, so it would need to be like automatic registration when Windows joins the domain. I was wondering if there was a command on the router that would allow me to register with the dns servers that are listed (internal servers) on the router and it would automatically register the hostname and domain name that was configured on the router.

Maybe they could put it in a future release ;-) (I could also see it as a security risk too though.)

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I'd love this functionality. Would be similar to the "ip ddns update" command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: