cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0 - recovering voicemails from a deleted Subscriber

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Is this even possible within Unity? Or is this more likely an Exchange setting that i would need to investigate?

We run Unity 5.0 standalone with a main Uniy server and a secondary message store - both underpinned by a local Exchange install which is part of Unity.

Is it possible to recover voicemails from a deleted Subscribers account at all? We have had a request from a team here to recover voicemails for a Subscriber who left a few weeks ago - typically the account has already been deleted from Unity and the IP Phone system. Anyone aware of where i might need to look to "recover" the Subscriber account and/or associated VM's?

Rgds

5 Replies 5

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only way I can see this happening is if the AD account and associated Exchange mailbox weren't deleted along with the subscriber in SAweb/Unity. Check in AD and in Exchange to see if that subscriber still has an account and mailbox. If so, then you should be able to use Outlook Web Access to get the messages out of the mailbox on Exchange.

Tray

Thanks Tray - i already looked in here and i couldn't see the users account under the Exchange Mailbox. We use 7 digit extensions as the unique identifier, so i cant be certain if there is still an AD user in existence under "AD Users and Groups" on the Unity server. (The Mailbox under the users name has definitely gone)

Im guessing if the Exchange user account is no longer listed, that OWA is out of the question :o)

I've got a TAC case raised thru IBM - i will find out if a recovery of an account is possbile. I'm guessing not at this stage.

Quick Q - how do i get into OWA? What would the broswer string be? (ie https://x.x.x.x/owa/logon.asp etc?)

Rgds

OWA is for Exchange so if this is Domino, I am not sure how you would recover this. If the mailbox is gone, you are probably out of luck. To get into OWA, it's usually http://exchangehostname/exchange/username to get there.

Tray

Thanks again Tray. We use Exchange. I've tried getting to OWA and i get a password error...I'm guessing the Exchange "AD Users and Groups" password for my user account is *seperate* to the Unity password? Would this be correct?

http:/(servername)/exchange/(my extension).

If i use the following credentials at the login prompt i get a password error:

"(domain)\(my extension)"

"Unity password"

Can i simply reset my AD account password in "AD Users and Groups"? Is this seperate to Unity's password or one-and-the-same?

Thanks

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Well, it looks like AD and Exchange 'orphan' the VM messges when Unity is used to delete the Subscriber. Thus the old account *was* still there under AD, and accessible via OWA.

I've been able to get to it via OWA with no problem, and can review old VM's. Nice quirk of Unity :o)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: