cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gumblar Bot Net - IPS Signatures

solinal01
Level 1
Level 1

According to Cisco's bulletin, they do not have any signatures recommended to stop the Gumblar Bot Net. However, a client of ours, uses IBM's Proventia and they currently have a list of signatures they recommend to block.

IBM: http://www.iss.net/threats/gumblar.html

Cisco: http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/viewAlert.x?alertId=18286

Since I'm new to the IPS realm, I'm curious if I can basically set to block all of the PDF related remote execution/vulnerabilities and curious if this will help us in mitigating this attack.

Thanks for any guidance you may give.

5 Replies 5

yuliang13
Level 1
Level 1

perhaps you need to write a custom signature

Well considering I'm new to all of this, I guess that is not going to happen.

Thanks.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Create a custom sig using the service-http engine. Set it for TCP and use the built-in WEBPORTS variable for common ports (although in the case you can probably do tcp/80.)

Specify the Argument Name Regex as:

((action=).*(&entity_list=).*(&uid=).*(&first=).*(&guid=).*(&rnd=).*)

Full disclosure: this is my first real attempt at using Regex in an IPS sig. I would assume there are better ways to write this regex; this is just what I came up with.

What the regex is saying is "match exactly on the string "action=" followed by any character (the '.') any number of times (the '*'), followed by the the string (&entity_list=) etc. They have to be in that exact order. In this version it has to be a case-sensitive match. It should really be broken down like: ([Aa][Cc][Tt][Ii][Oo][Nn][=]) but the malware isn't exhibiting that behavior yet, so...

You want to swap the attacker/victim setting to (i.e. even though its an internal host that's initiating the traffic, its really the destination that's the bad guy.)

For what its worth, I would think that the Cisco guys should be able to create this as a real sig for inclusion in their updates. If you guys are interested I can try converting more of the Emerging Threat (emergingthreats.net) sigs to be Cisco IPS sigs.

Sweet - thank you thank you thank you!!

Unfortunately, I cannot 'test' this, and since this would be my 'first' one, I would like to test before I place into production....our licenses are 'mixed up' for my lab ASA/IPS....as soon as that is ironed out - I will definitely attempt this!

Thank you again!

Lillian

Happy to help. I strongly recommend testing this sig first, since Regex is CPU intensive (and since, as I mentioned, I'm new to writing Regex sigs). You could remove some of the 'inside' Arg Names to simplify the regex (ie. get rid of the &first= or &guid= names)

I've already had a true positive hit on this sig, from a guest machine on my network. Here's the HTTP GET that the infected client issued:

GET /garret/controller.php?action=bot&entity_list=2351576910,1212183482,1232434&uid=1&first=0&guid=22439923423&rnd=9242 HTTP/1.1

Host: hott-rodd.cn

Going against destination IP 204.69.199.39.

Good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card