Views
Helpful
Replies

information about Catalyst 4500 Series Switches

Nasirkhan2631
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am looking for some information about CAT 4500 SERIES SWITCHES , I was reading the data sheet of 45 series swicthes it say about bandwith and throughput , like 64 GBPS and 256 MPPS , Whats is that is the port speed or ? i little confuse , what is that and how we calculate it

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those numbers reflect the fabric throughput. The numbers you posted seems to be from a SupIV but the Mpps reported value is incorrect.

SupIV specs are listed as 64 Gbps/ 48mpps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/prod_models_comparison.html

You should be aware of the line card modules available. Classic line cards available throughput is only 6Gbps while E-Series line card is only 24Gbps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2710/ps5494/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thank you for your reply , It means the the higher the line card bandwith faster the switching and routing and faster the application run right ? because I have 2970 Series switches in production and 2924 series switches if I am doing VNC form my machine to Production servers is very fast becuase the production server has 2970 switches and it has 10/100/1000 fastethernet and if I am doing VNC on test servers is slow it has 2924 series swicthes and it has 10/100 fast ethernet so I am thinking that if I go for 4500 -E series it slove the issue or not

please assist

Thanks

Even at 10Mbps port speed, a VNC session shouldn't be slow on a LAN. You need to troubleshoot the end-to-end connection from the source to the destination.

Verify for errors on the transit links and/or configuration parameters.

A 4500-E will certainly improve the speed but I believe you can achieve decent performance out of the 2924 for VNC purposes.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Higher pps and bps don't directly mean applications will run faster, it has more to do with how high a load the switch/router can support.

Wire speed (i.e. 100% capacity) requires a certain amount of bandwidth. Generally when quoted for 64 byte sized packets, multiple gig ports 2x bandwidth for necessary bandwidth, and gig ports by 1.488 Mpps.

For example, 48 gig ports would require a fabric of 96 Gbps and about 72 Mpps. If a switch specs don't support wire speed for all ports, applications should only run slower when the device has reached its max perfomance and if a higher load is attempted. For example, a switch rated at 48 Gbps and 36 Mpps might deliver wire speed until more than 24 Gbps was attempted.

For a remote desktop application such as VNC, you shouldn't see much of any performance difference between switches (as also noted by Edison mention of VNC across 10 Mbps) unless the switch is overtaxed and/or a link or links also used by the VNC traffic flow are congested.

Depending on your needs, if something like the 2924 is insufficient, Cisco offers many other switches. I.e. you might not need to jump to the 4500 series to provide for your needs (probably also at a much lower cost).

stmillet
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The numbers relate to the processing ability of the Supervisor Engine.

Across all of the 4500's connected interfaces, the chassis (Supervisor Engine) can process traffic up to 64 Gigabits per second, or 256 Million Packets per Second.

The values are not something that can be calculated they are the design specification of the switch itself.

As a network administrator you will need to understand what the traffic load of the switch will be in your network. If your traffic exceeds the capability of the switch then it may not be suitable.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

is there a way to achieve in Cisco Catalyst 4500 switches something you get on, for example, 2960 switches with the feature switchport protected? We have different segments of our network connected to different ports on 4500 switches and we want to block the communication of those segments with each other. Any sugestions? Thanks in advance

Yes, you can filter inter VLAN traffic using access-lists on your 4500.

There is an useful link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/50sg/configuration/guide/secure.html

Guido.

Please rate all the helpful comments.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card