Helpful
Replies

Error 442 Vista issue

mawallace
Level 1
Level 1

This is driving me nuts!

I am using Vista and Cisvo VPN Client 5.0.05.290

9 of 10 times I get error 442 when I try to connect. It always works 1st time on XP

Does anyone have a permenant fix? I have tried the workarounds by resetting the adaptor and the regristry fix - but there must be a permenant way of clearling this problem!

4 Replies 4

wilson_choi
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Vista and Cisco VPN 5.0.00.0340. I also got error 442. How does the workaround work?

Wilson.

From Cisco website:-

To work around error 442, do the following steps:

Step 1 Open "Network and Sharing Center".

Step 2 Select "Manage Network Connections".

Step 3 Enable the Virtual Adapter ("VA"-Cisco VPN Adapter).

Step 4 Right-click on Cisco VPN Adapter and select "Diagnose" from the context menu.

Step 5 Select "Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection X".

If this procedure does not work, run the following command from cmd:

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Then reboot.

This resolves the issue until Vista reports a duplicate IP address again. Follow the preceding steps to resolve it again.

If that doesn't work, you might have UAC enabled. If so, you must run cmd as administrator and repeat the previous registry workaround

My son found a permanent fix by searching in Google for reason 442. The solution is to uncheck/disallow Internet Connection Sharing for the Cisco VPN Adapter. It works for me, now I can connect to VPN consistently.

I tried that fix but it still does not always work though - the regirsty fix that I posted always clears the problem. But why are we having this issue? There must be a solution out there!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: