2610xm router for CCIE lab. need extra FE port.

Unanswered Question
May 30th, 2009

I bought some 2610xm routers for my CCIE lab and some labs require 2 FE ports while my router only has one. I do have available WIC slot on my router but I can't find any WIC card which can provide an extra FE port. I checked cisco Website and seems I have to buy a whole Network Module. Could anybody please suggest what I should do with the routers to build my lab? Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
tperrier Tue, 06/02/2009 - 00:14

Also for a lab, an Ethernet (10 Mb/s) interface should be enough and possibly less expensive.

Difan Zhao Thu, 06/04/2009 - 20:18

Do you mean WIC-1ENET card? Thanks! I will keep an eye on them. When there is good deal, I will consider buying them.

tperrier Fri, 06/05/2009 - 00:22

> Do you mean WIC-1ENET card? Thanks! I will keep an eye on them.

No, the WIC-1ENET isn't compatible with 2600s; you need the NM-1E. But I don't know the prices now on eBay, so if you can find a NM-1FE for a good price, go for it instead!

Difan Zhao Sun, 06/07/2009 - 18:04

you are right... I confirmed with a ebay seller. The WIC-1ENET isn't compatible. NM-1E is about 120$ and it will work on 2600. For now I will continue use subinterface. Thanks for the information!

Difan Zhao Thu, 06/04/2009 - 20:16

Subinterface is definitely a good idea. However I am just worried the configuration is a little different on subinterface then on a actual interface. Thank you for the NM model number. However the port looks different... Is it for RJ45 Ethernet cable??

srue Fri, 06/05/2009 - 10:46

yes, the configuration would be slightly different. but actually it's configuration information that you should know anyway for both exams, and 'real world'.

you add the following command to the subinterface to specify the vlan:

encapsulation dot1q vlanid

eg

encapsulation dot1q 100

likewise, define trunking on the switchport.

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

(i see that this is for ccie studies, so hopefully this is all review anyway)

Difan Zhao Sun, 06/07/2009 - 18:07

Yes the configuration worked. Thanks. But I am told that QoS is configured differently on Subinterface than on physical interface. Some configuration won't even be accepted on subinterface. Do you know if it's true...? Thanks!

tperrier Sun, 06/07/2009 - 01:53

> However the port looks different... Is it for RJ45 Ethernet cable??

The NM-1E has both a RJ-45 connector, and a DB-15 one for connecting a transceiver (not useful anymore these days).

Actions

This Discussion