CCNA and CCENT two paths cost

Unanswered Question
May 30th, 2009

I am preparing for CCNA certification and after reading Todd Lammle book I realized that there is a lot of things covered. His books are excellent but i decided to to two paths exam since it looks you can concentrate or fewer topics and really go into it.

My question would be about the cost.

I know that each exam is 125 US ICND1 and ICND2 and as far as i know CCNA is 250 so as far as i know cost is the same

I decided to go two exams path. Although i have A+ net+ and MCP windows 2003 server i dont have any experience in real Cisco world. So some people advised me that even if the cost is higher 2 paths is still easier then combine all the stuff in one big exam

What is opinion from some of you that went for exams is 2 paths better.

One composite exam covers really a lot while 2 paths just splits nicely in two

It is my opinion

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
daliborpakrac1972 Sat, 05/30/2009 - 19:30

just to add i got my first router and will get some switches and see how it goes

Also got myself Wendell Odom ICND1 book

hope it goes well

greg.washburn Mon, 06/01/2009 - 06:29

You are correct about the cost - it's $250 either way.

The ability to split up the exams is considered a benefit that probably came mostly from the time needed to complete the cisco academy stuff.

If you feel you will need considerable time to get the ccna it would likely be better to at least have the ccent cert in the mean time.

daliborpakrac1972 Mon, 06/01/2009 - 17:27

Yes that is exactly what is in my mind. CCENT is definitely first step and gives you at least one certification in Cisco world. Going through the book ICND1 I realized it really gets you into basic stuff. So after foundation is done then I guess ICND2 will take some time but not rush. In the mean time at least it is easier for now to get CCENT and then later CCNA with little bit extra effort

Justin Brenton Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:28

Hi There,

I was in your situation a while back and decided to do the 1 exam route and it was quite hard.

I feel that with your entry level and just getting access to a router you should do the 2 exam approach.

You will get a broader knowledge out of the exams if you take them in 2 parts.

It basically comes down to do you want to sqweeze alot of info into 1 exam or seperate the information contained in the exams. It's alot of information to remember all specifics you need to know.

The only benifit's for taking the all in one exam is if your on time restrictions to get the CCNA completed.

Hope this helps, please rate if so

richlohman Wed, 06/03/2009 - 17:07

I did the exact same thing. I started out with the Lammle book (which was really good, BTW...) then got a little overwhelmed around chapter 9. I picked up the Odom books and went down the 2 exam path. I finished the ICND1 last week, and will be hitting the ICND2 in about two weeks. Look at it this way - if you get the CCNA (and you probably will), the extra few dollars you spend will come back over and over. And, you'll be able to focus more attention on less material at each stage, which means you'll get more out of the learning process.

Just my two cents, and it's worth every penny you paid for it ;)

This Discussion