Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed dial name doesn't appear on the incoming call

SAM KAWTHARANI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have setup my personal speed dial with numbers and names, it seems that if a caller calls my direct indial, it appears with the phone number only not the name, any idea how do I setup the called name to appear on my screen as well?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

The information that you are wanting to see must be provided by the PSTN. If this is a POTS line, make sure the calling name is appearing on a normal analog phone. For SIP or ISDN, you can take a look at "debug ccsip messsage" or "debug isdn q931" respectively.

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

hi Marcos and Sam,

I was just speaking with Sam, and I think you may be misunderstanding the behaviour he is looking for.

example;

phone receives call with number

phone examines it's speed dials to see if there is a match for the number

if there is a match, displays the speed dial name instead of the number on the phone handset

This type of behaviour I'm thinking of three issues:

1st - is this functionality supported/already there?

2nd - if it is, it is unlikely to work properly because the speed dials will have a leading access digit, which the calling number will not have (assuming the matching is done exactly and not a right-to-left digit matching)

3rd - may be missing +61/area codes (but those can be added to the speed dials)

I see. Use "directory-entry" command under "telephony-service". The directory-entry must match the calling number exactly. If the incoming call does not come with a caller name, we'll add the caller name from the directory based on the matching caller number and the phone will display that name. If the incoming call has the caller name already, this substitution won't take place.

Thanks,

Marcos

That's good, however it's unlikely the number will match exactly due to the leading 0 digit.

So, is it possible to apply a translation on the calling number before looking up the directory/sending the call to the destination, to add the leading digit?

(0 usually in our case in Aussie-land)

Yes, this is possible. The translation rule needs to be applied to the inbound VoIP dial peer or the inbound voice port.

Thanks,

marcos