Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Line card module to VSL bundle in VSS

anva12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a WS-X6704-10GE line card in addition to VS-S720-10G sup engine.please anybody tell me how to add

this line card module or a port of this module to VSL bundle.Also is it neccessary to use the two 10G port in the Sup engine to be part of VSL or we can use only the WS-X6704-10GE module in VSL.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Anvar,

unfortunately the answer is no at least in available documentation.

You can add additional physical links to the VSL EtherChannel by using the 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports on WS-X6708-10GE or WS-X6716-10GE switching modules.

see

"VSL Hardware Requirements" in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1053927

6704 is not listed as a viable option.

the optical module is not problem until it is matched on the other side but it looks like you haven't the right type of linecard.

if so or you ask for the 6704 to be changed to a 6708 or you have to limit the VSL bundle to the two links on the supervisors.

Sorry, I didn't know this in my reasoning 6704 could be a better choice than 6716 that is clearly oversubscribed.

It may be that 6704 hasn't a double connection to the 720GBps switching fabric or it was designed before VSS development and it is missing something to support VSL.

Anyway, I would suggest you to open a TAC case asking for this question on 6704.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Anvar,

the best choice is to have links taken from both the 6704 linecard and the supervisor see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1054747

VSL Restrictions and Guidelines

When configuring the VSL, note the following guidelines and restrictions:

•For line redundancy, we recommend configuring at least two ports per switch for the VSL. For module redundancy, the two ports can be on different switching modules in each chassis.

•The no mls qos channel-consistency command is automatically applied when you configure the VSL. Do not remove this command.

Depending on the dual active detection method in use you may need additional direct links between the two chassis.

>> There is a note that says:

We recommend that you configure the VSL prior to converting the chassis into a VSS.

So I suggest to ask for a maintanance window for this operation.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe for this information

Does WS-X6704-10GE interface card with

XENPAK-10GB-SR module support VSL configuration in VSS

Hello Anvar,

unfortunately the answer is no at least in available documentation.

You can add additional physical links to the VSL EtherChannel by using the 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports on WS-X6708-10GE or WS-X6716-10GE switching modules.

see

"VSL Hardware Requirements" in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1053927

6704 is not listed as a viable option.

the optical module is not problem until it is matched on the other side but it looks like you haven't the right type of linecard.

if so or you ask for the 6704 to be changed to a 6708 or you have to limit the VSL bundle to the two links on the supervisors.

Sorry, I didn't know this in my reasoning 6704 could be a better choice than 6716 that is clearly oversubscribed.

It may be that 6704 hasn't a double connection to the 720GBps switching fabric or it was designed before VSS development and it is missing something to support VSL.

Anyway, I would suggest you to open a TAC case asking for this question on 6704.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

All inter-chassis communication is carried out over the VSL links. This is internal control-plane traffic to make 2 physical chassis function logically like one switch.

VSL is not an regular L2/L3 link. Hence any traffic traverses over the VSL will be appended with Virtual Switch Header or VSH. Encap/Decap function of VSH tagged traffic can only be done via next-gen hardware like 6708 due to new ASIC support.

Since 6704 do not have that new ASIC, it cannot be used as an VSL link. However it can be certainly use as L2/L3 network link...

thanks,

rahul.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card