Views
Helpful
Replies

PC,router, switch, hub , which standards TIA or EIA

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I like to know the standards used by router, switch , personal computers and hubs. My book says there are two standards:

TIA

EIA

TIA has two standards:

T568A

T568B

thanks and enjoy your weekend!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sarah

The only difference between T568A & T568B is that pairs 2 & 3 are swapped, see this link -

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Leviton/Datacom/FAQ_TIA568.asp

So a straight thru cable is -

T568A both ends or T568B both ends

Pinouts are 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 6-6

note that you can use either T568A or T568B for straight thru.

A cross-over cable is -

T568A on one end T568B on the other

pinouts are 1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 6-2

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

I found something, and thought it might be useful for someone looking for answers.

PC-NIC , router, wireless- access-point, use pin 1,2 to transmit and 3,6 to receive. This led me to believe they use T568A standard.

Switches and hubs use 1,2 to receive and 3,6 to transmit . Again this made me believe T568B is used here.

I assume by switches we mean layer 2 switches.

=========================================

Sarah

The only difference between T568A & T568B is that pairs 2 & 3 are swapped, see this link -

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Leviton/Datacom/FAQ_TIA568.asp

So a straight thru cable is -

T568A both ends or T568B both ends

Pinouts are 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 6-6

note that you can use either T568A or T568B for straight thru.

A cross-over cable is -

T568A on one end T568B on the other

pinouts are 1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 6-2

Jon

Hi Jon!

Thanks for your reply.I understand the T568A and T568B standards.I understands when to use straight-through or cross-over cable.

What I really wanted to know is which standard is used in the device for cabling.

For example my book says PC 's NIC, routers, wireless access point use pins 1,2 to transmit and pins 3,6 to receive.

That means vendors use T568A .

On the other hand, hubs and switches use pins 1,2 to to receive and pins 3,6 to transmit. That means vendors use T568B standard in hubs and switches.

Had the same standard say T568A been used in all devices, we would have needed only cross-over cable to connect them together.

It seems T568 standards are favored over EIA standards by vendors.

thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card