cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device won't link on 4507 but will on Catalyst Express

ROBERT ISAACS
Level 1
Level 1

I am testing out a Web Filter device and want to hook it up to my LAN so that I can configure it. I have completed the initial configuration with the console. When I hook it into my 4507 switch I get no link light and can't get at it. I hooked it into a Catalyst Express switch and got a link light. I went into the port that I had it plugged into on the 4507 and tested every combination of Speed/Duplex known to man and still no cigar. The manufacturer of the device does not have weekend coverage for trial devices so I can't check with them. I read their documentation and it says that the port is 10/100. The 4507 is a 10/100/1000 auto sensing port of course. Any ideas people?

Thanks,

RI

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are probably using the incorrect cable between the 2 . More than likely the card on the 4500 does not support auto mdix (auto-xover) while the catalyst express does . If you use a crossover cable it will probably work .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are probably using the incorrect cable between the 2 . More than likely the card on the 4500 does not support auto mdix (auto-xover) while the catalyst express does . If you use a crossover cable it will probably work .

My bad Glen. I tried that too. I really appreciate your reply. Thanks! I read of something similar that said that maybe the device I am working with might not handle the POE and that POE is enabled automatically on 4500 ports. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks,

RI

I have never heard or seen POE interfering with whether a link comes active or not . Still sounds like a physical layer issue somehow.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Message double posted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: