cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can I disable (default enabled) QoS on a radio interface ?

nlariguet
Level 1
Level 1

I have 50% CPU load with all interfaces shutdown and I see the are two processes (dot11 driver and HQF).

I just learned HQF is QoS related:

QoS is disabled by default; however, the radio interface always honors tagged 802.1P packets even when you have not configured a QoS policy.

so question is ? how can I disable QoS on said interface ?

C1841 with 384 MB and HWIC-AP-AG-A

c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-22.T.bin

4 Replies 4

dsweeny
Level 3
Level 3

QoS is disabled by default (however, the radio interface always honors tagged 802.1P packets even when you have not configured a QoS policy).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/wireless/configuration/guide/s37qos.html#wp1034940

I appreciate your answer ... however you are answering me with the same exact line that is posted in my question so frankly I don't understand what's the point of your answer at all.

By the way I just fixed the problem myself a couple of days ago.

Thanks anyway.

Just curious - what did you do to fix the problem? Also, I'm not sure what the actual problem was - were you concerned about wasting CPU time on a service you did not need?

Not actually. I was running 12.4 mainline without any problems for a almost a year. A month ago I bought an HWIC-AP-AG-A which I needed to run on station-role non-root; ie: the universal client mode.

Upon installation of the module on my C1841 I realized I was needing to upgrade to a T image to enable it since mainline didn't detect the interface at all so there I went to 12.4.22T and this is where my problems started: the router went very very unresponsive even from a console connection including exasperating delays while typing a simple command.

I started to investigate a bit and I noticed two processes consuming more than half the CPU power: dot11 driver and HQF which I later realized had to do something with QoS. Since I don't need this feature at all ... thus my question to begin with because these two processes with 50%+ CPU load didn't feel quite right to me at the time.

After diving into many configuration guides and command references and lacking any answers on how to disable said service, a week ago I went with my configuration disabling one line after another and issuing sh processes cpu after each one and voilá; my mainline config included the following three lines:

no exception memory ignore overflow processor

no exception memory ignore overflow io

no scheduler heapcheck process memory processor io

Everything returned normal after deleting these lines on the T image.

These commands were placed a year or so ago following recommendations by a Cisco guide on hardening routers which I don't remember the exact name but I can look for it if needed since I know I have it somewhere on my drives.

So that's it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: