Pix 515e is standby

Unanswered Question
Jun 1st, 2009
User Badges:

Hi,

we have 2 pix system with failover and standby fascility, now i would like to use astandby pix for other jup, but i coudlnt do any, because the worrning message allows supplied that "this pix is standby" , so i need to erase this fascilty to do my new configuration.

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Kureli Sankar Mon, 06/01/2009 - 04:04
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

You can issue a write erase and reload without saving the configuration and start configuring the PIX-515e for another job.

I hope the device has proper license. If you only have a FO (failover only license) then, you cannot deploy the unit by itself as a stand alone firewall.

Pls. read here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/configuration/guide/failover.html#wp1025358

The PIX Firewall with the FO license is intended to be used solely for failover and not in standalone mode. If a failover unit is used in standalone mode, the unit will reboot at least once every 24 hours until the unit is returned to failover duty.

f.hammadi Wed, 06/03/2009 - 01:42
User Badges:

Hello Sir"

I would like to inform you that my device has license "FO" (failover only license) So,I ask if can I configure this device working as standalone device to make my network conecting to internet using nat, or i have to looking for other device?

thanks'

bikespace Thu, 06/04/2009 - 02:13
User Badges:

The failover license is far cheaper than a full license, and will not allow you to configure as a stand alone device.

On the positive side it means you get a bargain backup device, but as you've found it does mean you can't split the two and use both as standalone firewalls.

Seems fair though eh :-)

Actions

This Discussion