cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP tracking on physical interface or port channel?

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

I have 2 3560 switches acting as L3 that have some 15 SVI interfaces and run HSRP between them. Each of these 3560 switches are OSPF adjacent to core-1 switch and core-2 switch and the version on these platforms is 12.2(25)SEE4.

2 L3 portchannels have been created on each of these switches (1 port channel to COre 1 and the other to Core 2) whose interfaces are OSPF speaking to the core.

I want to enable HSRP tracking on the interfaces connecting to Core 1 and Core 2.

Should i enable HSRP tracking on the port channel interfaces or the physical interfaces in the port channel?

Thanks a lot

Gautam

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gautam,

if tracking a L2 port is supported I would track the member links so that if one member link goes down the second 3560 takes over.

Notice that multiple tracking commands are supported.

Using default 10 points decrement for tracking it is enough to use 105 and 100 as priority values to have active the device with more working links

When the number of active links is the same SW1 is active.

Tracking the port-channel interface would make SW1 HSRP active until one link is up in its bundle.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks a lot for your quick reply Giuseppe.

There are two portchannels in 3560-1 and two in 3560-2. I want the condition for failover to be such that "if even a single port in both the port channels goes down, it triggers the other switch to be HSRP active". Currently, the priority of the active HSRP switch is 150 and the standby is 100.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Hello Gautam,

as I wrote in first post:

you need 4 tracking commands one for each member link.

With default 10 points penalty for tracking you can use

105 on Sw1

100 on Sw2

in any case Sw1 has the same number of active links it is HSRP active Sw2 takes over if it has more active links even only one.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card