cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High memory usage on c5rsm with SNMP

forumhealth
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is pretty old stuff, but does anyone know what to do about excessively high memory usage by the IP SNMP process on a C5RSM running 12.0(7)T? If I monitor the router with something like SolarWinds or CiscoWorks I can watch the memory usage climb. One RSM is holding >3MB, another is holding >38MB. The memory doesn't seem to be freed when monitoring is stopped, even if the SNMP process is removed from the config. I've had a couple of RSMs crash due to memory issues. I'm trying to replace these with 6500s, but I'm stuck with 5 still in service.

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Health,

after removing snmp config save config and ask for a reload in a maintanance window.

This may make the change effective and it is to be preferred to waiting for a crash.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply. I have scheduled a reload for late tonight. I would very much like to be able to use snmp to monitor the router, and was hoping that there would be some way to resolve the memory issue. Perhaps it is an issue with the IOS version. If there is no other solution, I will just disable snmp on the offending RSMs until those switches can be replaced.

Alan

Hello Alan,

we had cpu issues caused by SNMP on C36x0 routers I tried to implement an snmp view to filter snmp gets received on the router.

However, your issue is different and RSM is quite old and EOS. disabling SNMP can be acceptable if they are going to be dismissed on the short term.

It is possible that it is an issue related to the IOS version but where to find the right one ? (also a downgrade can be a solution).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thats also very old IOS version even for a RSM so maybe a newer version might not have that issue. The last version released for those was 12.2.46a GD .

Hi Glen,

I would upgrade, but I only have 8MB flash, and all of the versions available require 16MB. At least I know the issue, so I can deal with the situation until I can replace the switch. I also fooled around with a 3560 layer 3 switch acting as a one-armed router, and that will work in a pinch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card