Replies

Cisco 4500 Software Image Upgrade

matthewbevan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am about to upgrade a cisco 4506 to the following software version:

cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-37.SG.bin

The switch has 2 sup 5 cards in it, obviously primary and secondary. I was wondering if when I apply the upgrade that it will be applied to BOTH cards without any further problem OR will I have to upgrade cards individually to ensure both cards recieve full abililty to function as primary cards if/when required in the future?

Thanks in advance guys (again)!

Matt.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

you should be able to upgrade one supervisor at a time starting with current standby sup.

you can write the file image to standby flash using slave-flash: or slave-bootflash: and so on.

you can use dir /all to see all the filesystems

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Hello Matt,

thanks for your kind remarks.

the default behaviour is to load the first IOS image in flash.

to be able to boot the new image at next reload use:

config t

boot system bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-37.SG.bin

exit

wr mem

verify with sh bootvar that a 1 follows new image and a 2 eventually follows old image.

verify also the config register settings:

from this depends the behaviour.

if you have other doubts post the sh ver and sh bootvar outputs

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

you should be able to upgrade one supervisor at a time starting with current standby sup.

you can write the file image to standby flash using slave-flash: or slave-bootflash: and so on.

you can use dir /all to see all the filesystems

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the response, Great explanation which was difficult to find on the net yet so simple...

Following from this - I now have 2 software images on my primary and secondary supervisor cards.

when I do a sh bootflash: command I get this output:

C4510-1.LAB#sh bootfl

-#- ED ----type---- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- ---------date/time--------- name

1 .. image 93B32579 C6A9FC 30 12495228 Oct 5 2006 23:35:37 +00:00 cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin

2 .. image 04EB44A2 19F1050 38 14181844 Jun 2 2009 02:38:03 +00:00 cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-37.SG.bin

so basically I have 2 images but want to know how to a) make the new image the primary image and b) delete the old image.....

I have been looking around the config for a while but can't seem to do this (reloaded etc...)

Thanks very very much!

Matt.

Hello Matt,

thanks for your kind remarks.

the default behaviour is to load the first IOS image in flash.

to be able to boot the new image at next reload use:

config t

boot system bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-37.SG.bin

exit

wr mem

verify with sh bootvar that a 1 follows new image and a 2 eventually follows old image.

verify also the config register settings:

from this depends the behaviour.

if you have other doubts post the sh ver and sh bootvar outputs

Hope to help

Giuseppe

To delete the old image, "del bootflash:cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin " . To recover the space in bootflash , "squeeze bootflash:" .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco