cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone Tracking

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

CM is not acquiring IP Phones as part of the user tracking.

Is there anything I need to do to set this up?

We have CM 5.1.1 and CUCM 6.1.2

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I couldn't believe that they would have left the LMS 3.0.1 Discovery migration code in 3.1 service packs, but they did. If you had an LMS upgraded from 3.0, applying the 5.1.3 SP will remigrate the DeviceDiscovery data to CSDiscovery. This is clearly not right. I filed CSCsz99839 to get this fixed.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to upgrade to CM 5.1.3 which added support for CCM 5.x and higher. Once you do that, run a new Data Collection, then run a new UT acquisition, and your phones should show up as phones.

Thanks for the reply.

Once I've upgraded to I need to do anything else?

Do I need to configure SNMP on the CUCM servers and add the servers to CS or does CM 5.1.3? I think I read on another thread that this was neccessary but am not sure.

I've looked on the Cisco Website but I can't find any specific guides for configuring CM for acquiring IP Phone info.

Thanks,

Lee

I had assumed the CCMs were already in DCR. Yes, they will need to have SNMP enabled such that Campus can manage them, and UT can poll the ccmPhoneTable. The CCMs must be in DCR. Once Campus Data Collects them, then UT will poll the ccmPhoneTable to get the IP phone details for all registered phones. From that, it will build the phone table.

Thanks for reply again, very helpful.

I'll arrange to get SNMP configured on the CUCM cluster ASAP.

Are there any known bugs with doing this? The CUCM cluster is critical so the admins will want to be sure there'll be no adverse affects? Also, will doing this have a negative affect on the CUCM performance?

Thanks for your help (again)..

I know of no CCM bugs related to SNMP that could impact critical operation services.

Thanks for that..

The upgrade to 5.1.3 went smoothly but now the LMS seems to be auto-discovering devices.

I had this turned-off pre-upgrade but I can't find where it must have turned back on....any ideas?

Discovery has nothing to do with Campus Manager in LMS 3.1. If Discovery is on, something must have been changed under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Discovery.

That's was I was thinking too!

The are 2 scheduled Discovery Jobs in CS but I can't remember if they were there pre-5.1.3 upgrade.

I'll have to assume they weren't because I've never had any discovered devices before but after the CM 5.1.3 upgrade there's now hundreds of auto-discovered devices (mainly WLAP AP's that I don't want in LMS).

Do you know if the CM Upgrade process would add an Discovery Jobs??

No. As I said, there is no longer any relation between Discovery and Campus Manager. The only way to add Discovery jobs is to manually create them.

And I blieve BlueyVIII is right. In the past I also found default discovery jobs where I have deleted them. I could not determine when they get added because when I recognized it I had installed several other patches. But I am sure at least one of the regulary available updates/patches changes the customized discovery behaviour. If I remember well 2 discovery jobs gets added and the settings of the adhoc discovery gets wiped out (not more seeds, no filters). The user configured jobs did not get deleted or changed. Its just that there are 2 additional jobs.

@BlueyVIII: what are the timesettings for these jobs and what are the job IDs?

Mermel thanks for adding to this post...I was starting to imagine it!!

There's now 2 Discovery Jobs in CS that I'm pretty sure weren't there pre-CM 5.1.3 upgrade!! One runs at 11am and the other 7pm (I think)..

I'll delete these as I definately do NOT want any devices auto-discoverying as this will auto add all of my 400+ WLAN Access Points - I don't want these added because they're managed by our Wireless LAN Controller. There's also several other organisations connected to our IP infrastructure and I don't want their devices adding to our LMS.

Thanks.

I was dealing with this for a while now but had no time to troubleshoot in detail so I just took it as is (and asked myself if it could be true or if I started to be such confused ...)

..and the time for the jobs looks like mine..

I'm so happy to find out that I wasn't imagining this that I just dialed in and checked the jobs that I believe were created during the CM 5.1.3 upgrade and they are actually 11am and 7am (not PM as I previously said).

Both are deleted now!

I'll have to put this down to experience and remember to check CS Discovery Jobs after each upgrade(s).

Thanks for your help, I'm off to start clearing out thse 400+ devices from CS :(

Sorry, I also meant to add that the job ID's were 1261 & 1262...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco