Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP redistribution into OSPF

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I've attached a diagram for something that I ran into this morning. I have 2 ospf areas, one of which is an nssa, and I have a RIP router behind the nssa. I noticed that the same route that RouterB seen as an N2 route, RouterA sees as an E2 route. Is this because the ASBR is converting Type-7 LSA into a Type-5, and then RouterA is receiving the Type-5 LSA marking it as an external route, but not necessarily known that it came from an NSSA?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To reiterate, Router A is not part of the NSSA so it will receive external routes as E1 or E2.

Router C is part of the NSSA (Area 1), so any external routes from a ASBR on that area (on this case router B) will be seen as N1 or N2.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

I don't see any diagram but if Router A is receiving this LSA via a regular area, it will see any external route as E2 instead of N2.

N2 LSAs will only be seen within the NSSA area.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Ugh...forgot to attach the diagram.

Is RouterB seeing the external route as N2 because it's configured with area 1 as the nssa?

Thanks!

John

To reiterate, Router A is not part of the NSSA so it will receive external routes as E1 or E2.

Router C is part of the NSSA (Area 1), so any external routes from a ASBR on that area (on this case router B) will be seen as N1 or N2.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks! =)

John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card