cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP virtual being used?

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have two routers and have HSRP running between the fast ethernet interfaces. Actually there are two groups running. RTR_A real IP is .1 and it is Active for .3 (group 1). RTR_B real IP is .2 and it is Active for the .4 address (group 2). I want to remove one of the groups. Anyone know how I can see if the .4 virtual is being used as a default gateway by a client?

20 Replies 20

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

I would use a sniffer if I expect to see heavy load of ARP request.

"debug arp" would also help...but I simply would not dare :-)

Sam

These are on our internet routers, so no debug of course. Sniffer might be OK, but I was hoping for some magical command I didn't know.

I just did a debug on arp in the lab and it shows physical interfaces, not virtuals :-(

I got both IP and MAC, perhaps we have different setup and configs.

*Mar 18 11:25:43.803: IP ARP: sent req src 10.1.1.1 cc01.12f4.0010,

dst 10.1.1.2 cc02.12f4.0010 FastEthernet1/0

I did too, but it shows the physical interface instead of the virtual interface.

rakesh.hegde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Collin,

You may wan to use mac address input accounting on Router B to get all MACs that sent frames to the interface.

int <>

ip accounting mac-address input

sh int <> mac-accounting

-Rakesh

Rakesh,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll lab it up and see if it gives me the info I need.

Rakesh,

We're getting closer. I enabled accounting, sent some traffic, but the command show interface VLAN1 mac-acc shows the source MACs destined for the VLAN1 interface. That's works, but I may have clients pointing directly to the physical interface. Thanks for the command.

No problem :-)

-Rakesh

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How can you determine that? A Client would have this information statically or dynamically within its TCP/IP information so what's to say this client hasn't be used for 2 weeks because the user was on vacation?

I'm afraid this request is not possible to accomplish without some leg work or having some technical support calls.

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

The command can be used to get a fair idea of the number of MACs sending traffic to router's interface. If we have just 2 routers and hosts, and if group 2 is active on Router B and no client is using .4, you shouldn't see any traffic right ?

It may or may not help depending on what else is going on in the LAN.

-Rakesh

Rakesh,

Sorry for any confusion but I didn't reply to you but to Collin. I suggest to view these posts in a threaded format.

___

Edison.

Hi Edison,

No problem, point taken :-)

-Rakesh.

PUBLIC NETWORK. There are no clients that haven't been used for two weeks. Please read and understand before posting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: