cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7925G Push to Talk (PTT)

john
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to configure the 7925G's PTT on UC520 for directed, point-to-point voice call as opposed to group paging? Much like the functions you get with Nextel / Mike handsets?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This is supported, but you will need CLI. See below for a sample config between a 7921 adn a 7925. I am using dummy MAC's and making up the ephone and ephone-dn's (you will have to customize to your setup).

In this example, the second line is the PTT line of both phones:

ephone-dn  50
number 1200
label ip-paging
paging
!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!
ephone  6
device-security-mode none
mac-address ABCD.ABCD.ABCD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7921
no auto-line
button  1:39 2:56
!
ephone  41
mac-address BACD.BACD.BACD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7925
button  1:41 2:56

Let us know how it goes,

Marcos

View solution in original post

jjrinehart
Level 1
Level 1

Last year I was trying to mimic exactly what you were talking about.  A local hospital was looking at a two-way radio type of solution for their transporters (the folks who ferry patients from one place to another) and I proposed using a UC520 for this purpose.  The idea was to issue 7921 phones with headsets to the transporters and use the Wireless LAN throughout the hospital to transport the voice stream.  I coupled PTT with a PLAR function so that it would act just like a broadcast radio and mimic the two way radio.  I was jazzed when I figured out how to get it to work, the last piece of the puzzle I was able to get from the "Ask an Expert" area at last years Networkers...

Joe Rinehart, MBA, CCIE #14256, CCNP/DP/VP

President, Seattle Cisco Users Group

You could create more DN's like the one below:

!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!

And then add speed dials to those DN's. In other words, you build a "dialable" intercom that points to a unicast paging DN.

Let me know,

Marcos

5 Replies 5

This is supported, but you will need CLI. See below for a sample config between a 7921 adn a 7925. I am using dummy MAC's and making up the ephone and ephone-dn's (you will have to customize to your setup).

In this example, the second line is the PTT line of both phones:

ephone-dn  50
number 1200
label ip-paging
paging
!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!
ephone  6
mac-address ABCD.ABCD.ABCD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7921
no auto-line
button  1:39 2:56
!
ephone  41
mac-address BACD.BACD.BACD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7925
button  1:41 2:56

Let us know how it goes,

Marcos

Thanks for the tip Marcos. However, is it possible to make the intercom not for a fixed number? The behavior I am looking for is much like what a user will get with Nextel/Mike PTT where the user will select someone/group from a list of and press PTT to open the com line (similar to Directory-Dial, but using Intercom instead).

You could create more DN's like the one below:

!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!

And then add speed dials to those DN's. In other words, you build a "dialable" intercom that points to a unicast paging DN.

Let me know,

Marcos

One more comment. Make sure you honor the Out of Band Rules for CCA. That way you won't paint yourself into a corner if you still want to keep using CCA.

Marcos

jjrinehart
Level 1
Level 1

Last year I was trying to mimic exactly what you were talking about.  A local hospital was looking at a two-way radio type of solution for their transporters (the folks who ferry patients from one place to another) and I proposed using a UC520 for this purpose.  The idea was to issue 7921 phones with headsets to the transporters and use the Wireless LAN throughout the hospital to transport the voice stream.  I coupled PTT with a PLAR function so that it would act just like a broadcast radio and mimic the two way radio.  I was jazzed when I figured out how to get it to work, the last piece of the puzzle I was able to get from the "Ask an Expert" area at last years Networkers...

Joe Rinehart, MBA, CCIE #14256, CCNP/DP/VP

President, Seattle Cisco Users Group

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: