cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7925G Push to Talk (PTT)

john
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to configure the 7925G's PTT on UC520 for directed, point-to-point voice call as opposed to group paging? Much like the functions you get with Nextel / Mike handsets?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This is supported, but you will need CLI. See below for a sample config between a 7921 adn a 7925. I am using dummy MAC's and making up the ephone and ephone-dn's (you will have to customize to your setup).

In this example, the second line is the PTT line of both phones:

ephone-dn  50
number 1200
label ip-paging
paging
!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!
ephone  6
device-security-mode none
mac-address ABCD.ABCD.ABCD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7921
no auto-line
button  1:39 2:56
!
ephone  41
mac-address BACD.BACD.BACD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7925
button  1:41 2:56

Let us know how it goes,

Marcos

View solution in original post

jjrinehart
Level 1
Level 1

Last year I was trying to mimic exactly what you were talking about.  A local hospital was looking at a two-way radio type of solution for their transporters (the folks who ferry patients from one place to another) and I proposed using a UC520 for this purpose.  The idea was to issue 7921 phones with headsets to the transporters and use the Wireless LAN throughout the hospital to transport the voice stream.  I coupled PTT with a PLAR function so that it would act just like a broadcast radio and mimic the two way radio.  I was jazzed when I figured out how to get it to work, the last piece of the puzzle I was able to get from the "Ask an Expert" area at last years Networkers...

Joe Rinehart, MBA, CCIE #14256, CCNP/DP/VP

President, Seattle Cisco Users Group

You could create more DN's like the one below:

!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!

And then add speed dials to those DN's. In other words, you build a "dialable" intercom that points to a unicast paging DN.

Let me know,

Marcos

5 Replies 5

This is supported, but you will need CLI. See below for a sample config between a 7921 adn a 7925. I am using dummy MAC's and making up the ephone and ephone-dn's (you will have to customize to your setup).

In this example, the second line is the PTT line of both phones:

ephone-dn  50
number 1200
label ip-paging
paging
!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!
ephone  6
mac-address ABCD.ABCD.ABCD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7921
no auto-line
button  1:39 2:56
!
ephone  41
mac-address BACD.BACD.BACD
max-calls-per-button 4
paging-dn 50 unicast
type 7925
button  1:41 2:56

Let us know how it goes,

Marcos

Thanks for the tip Marcos. However, is it possible to make the intercom not for a fixed number? The behavior I am looking for is much like what a user will get with Nextel/Mike PTT where the user will select someone/group from a list of and press PTT to open the com line (similar to Directory-Dial, but using Intercom instead).

You could create more DN's like the one below:

!
ephone-dn  56
number 1201
label intercom
intercom 1200
!

And then add speed dials to those DN's. In other words, you build a "dialable" intercom that points to a unicast paging DN.

Let me know,

Marcos

One more comment. Make sure you honor the Out of Band Rules for CCA. That way you won't paint yourself into a corner if you still want to keep using CCA.

Marcos

jjrinehart
Level 1
Level 1

Last year I was trying to mimic exactly what you were talking about.  A local hospital was looking at a two-way radio type of solution for their transporters (the folks who ferry patients from one place to another) and I proposed using a UC520 for this purpose.  The idea was to issue 7921 phones with headsets to the transporters and use the Wireless LAN throughout the hospital to transport the voice stream.  I coupled PTT with a PLAR function so that it would act just like a broadcast radio and mimic the two way radio.  I was jazzed when I figured out how to get it to work, the last piece of the puzzle I was able to get from the "Ask an Expert" area at last years Networkers...

Joe Rinehart, MBA, CCIE #14256, CCNP/DP/VP

President, Seattle Cisco Users Group