Is it possible for 7921G wireless phone to use non Cisco wireless?

Unanswered Question
Jun 2nd, 2009

We bought a Cisco 7921G Wireless phone with our UC520 and it works fine when connected to the UC520's internal wireless. But we have a remote workshop a couple hundred meters away, which has a linksys WRT54G router with a large 2M long outdoor antenna on the roof of the building. This antenna lets this wireless cover almost our entire worksite.

The problem of course is that the 7921G doens't work of this wireless network. Is there any way to configure the linksys WRT54G router to work with the 7921G? I know it doesn't have the proper voice QOS and such, but there is nothing else on this wireless network, its not being used at all currently. There will also only be this 1 ip phone on that wifi network.

It sucks that we would have to buy a Cisco AP521 for the 7921G to work, its only an indoor AP and its range won't be nearly sa good as the large outdoor antenna we have. We don't need fancy features like the ability for the phone to roam between networks, which requires the AIR-WLC526.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brikers12 Tue, 06/02/2009 - 19:50

I spoke too soon, I determine the reason the 7921G wasn't working on my existing wireless network was a routing problem on my server. I use a SBS2003 as my DHCP and gateway, so I just needed to add a route to the network.

Now my wireless 7921G works excellent on my large outdoor network.

This Discussion

Related Content