cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem is - SSH process consumes lot of cpu utilization

durgeshk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am very fed up of when SSH process of switches in a LAN consumes a lot of processor utilization. Please suggest me to get rid of this problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Glen makes an excellant point.

For a L2 switch, there's often not much for the processor to do since normal frame switching likey is done with ASICs.

For a L3 switch, the processor often has more "control plane" functions to contend with that can need processor resources. Something like SSH could compete for processor cycles, but even then, a good task scheduler should keep SSH process consumption being adverse to more critical functions.

If your issue is some thing like NMS is flagging high switch CPU when SSH is used, you might try adjust its thresholds. Otherwise, if you really consider this an issue, as James suggests, don't use SSH.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Stop using SSH.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its not hurting anything and will only be elevated while you are SSH'd into the box . Unless the processor is already buried from some other process then its not hurting anything. Most traffic is switched in hardware these days and never even hits the cpu so its not affecting traffic flow to any big degree. It's going to elevate it a little because it has to highly encrypt all the commands you send to it using SSH .

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Glen makes an excellant point.

For a L2 switch, there's often not much for the processor to do since normal frame switching likey is done with ASICs.

For a L3 switch, the processor often has more "control plane" functions to contend with that can need processor resources. Something like SSH could compete for processor cycles, but even then, a good task scheduler should keep SSH process consumption being adverse to more critical functions.

If your issue is some thing like NMS is flagging high switch CPU when SSH is used, you might try adjust its thresholds. Otherwise, if you really consider this an issue, as James suggests, don't use SSH.

bretjaquish
Level 3
Level 3

What modulus size did you choose for your SSH keys? You could try decreasing down to no lower than 1024.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I always use 1024 should I need to decrease it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card