Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have come across an interesting situation and had some argument with colleagues and still I can't find out the solution. I hope some one might have an answer for this.

I have attached the scenario diagram and it will be helpful to describe better. As indicated in the diagram, there is a head end router with a 10 M connection and a remote router with an ADSL link. In this scenario I am not using any routing protocols and only using default routing.

The problem here is, on the head end while defining a default route if I use Gig 0/0 as the outgoing interface I cant ping the ADSL router's LAN or WAN IP. But if I used the next hop's address(PE's 10.5.15.70) I can ping the remote routers IP. But, in the ADSL router I always pointed the dialer interface while defining a default router and its sweet.

According to the design/diagram -

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 gigabitEthernet 0/0 - not working

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.5.15.70 - Working fine

This is not a major issue, but our of curiosity and to understand things better I am posing this question.

Thanks

Rajesh

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rajesh,

the PE node has proxy-arp disabled.

when you use the second type of static route you are not relying on PE node settings.

It is more correct in a LAN interface to specify the IP next-hop.

We had an issue on a network for this reason: there were routers terminating PPP sessions that were using default static routes pointing to lan interface.

After a security assessment ip proxy-arp was disabled on core router and the other routers could not route anymore: specifying the IP next hop the problem was fixed.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: