cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote office

7bridgesol
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client with a UC520, would like to have a small site with 3 phones to share phone system.

Currently they have a point-to-point between the two sites.  I set the main ste up already for 4 digits.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for a paper on connecting a remote site.

thanks

27 Replies 27

This is what we call a Remote Teleworker setup. Some information about configuration here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9661

You basically need a router like the SR520 or c800 to terminate the VPN tunnel and connect your remote users.

Thanks,

Marcos

I would like to add that since this is a point to point setup, you could register the remote phones over the WAN without a VPN. That would require some manipulation of the configuration, like possibly having to disable NAT, firewall rules, edit ACL's, configuring the appropriate IP routing and static configuration of the phones (TFTP, possibly DHCP, etc.).

There are some support considerations. I have extracted the following from the documentation:

Remote skinny client control protocol (SCCP) phones connected across WAN links are
subject to the following restrictions:

–Cisco TAC will not handle any voice or signaling issues for remote IP phones, unless the
same issue can be replicated for LAN phones.

–E911 or emergency calls are not supported from remote IP phones.

–All calls made to and from remote IP phones must use G.711. Cisco CME does not support
the ability to specify G.729 codec for remote IP phones.

–For inbound or outbound calls, remote IP phones cannot fail and go over to a PSTN
connection. Remote phones must use the WAN for all calls, even if available bandwidth is
not sufficient to guarantee voice quality.

–Remote IP phones do not support Network Address Translation (NAT). All Cisco CME phones
must use IP addresses that are routeable to and from Cisco CME. Remote IP phones must be
able to access the IP addresses that are used for all other local and remote phones.

–All PSTN access is through the central site only. PSTN termination at the remote site is
not supported.

–Cisco CME does not support Call Admission Control (CAC) for remote SCCP phones, so voice
quality can degrade if a WAN link is oversubscribed. High-bandwidth data applications used
over a WAN can cause degradation of voice quality for remote IP phones.

Thanks,

Marcos

okay so I plugged in a 7931 on the other side of the point-to-point

The phone has received an IP from the DhCP server not the UC520

Is there any documentation on how to get the phone to receive the 10.1.1.x IP

Thanks

You would need to setup a VPN. The link in my first post has some additional information.

Thanks,

Marcos

how would I do that when no Internet is available.  The point-to-point is all I have.

I can ping the UC520 data IP address, why could I not get an IP for the phone.

What DHCP server do you have running? Disable the DHCP server and let the UC520 do it, and there is a chance your remote phone will get an address from the UC520 over the point-to-point link, depending on the configuration.

Otherwise, just configure the DHCP server on the remote end to give out the CME address for the UC520. The remote phone does not have to be on the same LAN as the UC520, it just has to be able to get to it.

Here is an example DHCP config on a device at one of my remote sites:

ip dhcp pool REMOTE1
   network 192.168.152.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 192.168.152.1
   dns-server 68.94.156.1 68.94.157.1 4.2.2.1
   option 150 ip 192.168.150.254
   option 151 ip 192.168.150.254

Depending on what kind of DHCP server you have, just set the options 150 (and i have found 151 is needed for 52x phones) to the address of your UC520.

the dhcp server is a windows 2003 server.

Are these routed networks across the point to point or do you have the same subnet on both sides?

The phone doesn't need an IP address on the 10.1.1.x network.  You will need to set the tftp address to 10.1.1.1, and you should be fine. 

does that need to be done in the phone settings?

You can do it on the phone, or add it to the dhcp scope of the server that you have.  If you type it into the phone manually, you will need to set Alternate TFTP to yes on the phone, and then type the IP address into the field on the phone.

when I go to the area on the phone for alternate tftp is will not allow me to change the setting to yes.  The only soft key available is exit.

Do I need to unlock something?

Use **# to unlock, while under the Network Settings.

Marcos

Okay so I changed the tftp server to 10.1.1.1

Under network setting it lists there DHCP server 192.168.1.10

IP address is 192.168.1.110

TFTP server 10.1.1.1

Phone is stuck with configuring IP in bottom corner of the 7931 phone.

What else could i be missing?

Per status message DHCP timeout

okay I went in and changed the phone to have a static ip of 10.1.1.33

tftp 10.1.1.1

default router 10.1.1.1

Status message is:

tftp timeout sep0022555e85ed.cnf.xml

no ctl installed

Please advise

From the remote site I can ping 10.1.1.1 uc 520 and ping 10.1.1.11 which is the first phone at the main site.

Not sure what is going on now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: