Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The second NIC card on MCS server

Hi all,

Any body can tell me how we can utilize the next NIC card on MCS servers.

Because I have on each server two NIC cards and I need to connect each card to switch, is that possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Assuming that you are running a Linux based product (CUCM 5/6/7, Unity Connection etc.) you need to go to the server console and issue the following command.

set network failover enable

This will set the second NIC to operate in standby mode - if the first NIC is disconnected the server will use the second NIC to communicate. Note only one IP address is used - it is not possible to have separate IPs on different interfaces.

Use show network failover to verify operation.

The NICs can be connected to separate switches as long as the switch ports are in the same VLAN/subnet.

Please rate if helpful.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Assuming that you are running a Linux based product (CUCM 5/6/7, Unity Connection etc.) you need to go to the server console and issue the following command.

set network failover enable

This will set the second NIC to operate in standby mode - if the first NIC is disconnected the server will use the second NIC to communicate. Note only one IP address is used - it is not possible to have separate IPs on different interfaces.

Use show network failover to verify operation.

The NICs can be connected to separate switches as long as the switch ports are in the same VLAN/subnet.

Please rate if helpful.

PLease not that Cisco officially does not NIC pairing

(at least that is what I was told by a TAC engineer)

would be nice if someone from Cisco could comment on that, in this thread ;-)

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hey Dennis,

Here is a clip from Cisco that speaks to this question;

NIC Teaming Support

Server platforms with dual Ethernet network interface cards (NICs) can support NIC teaming for network fault tolerance with Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Cisco began support of NIC teaming on HP servers in the 5.0(1) release and began support on IBM servers in the 6.1(2) release. This feature allows a server to be connected to the Ethernet via two NICs and, hence, two cables. NIC teaming prevents network downtime by transferring the workload from the failed port to the working port. NIC teaming cannot be used for load balancing or increasing the interface speed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_2/cucm-rel_note-612.html#wp412614

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: