cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

More specific routes

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

I advertise the following subnet into eigrp 172.16.115.0/24. I have a situation where I want traffic to a couple of servers within this subnet to follow a different path. If I add more specific static routes to these servers and redistribute these static routes into eigrp as below will the traffic destined for the servers follow one path and any other traffic within this subnet follow the usual path?

ip route 172.16.115.61 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1

Many Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

Yes that will work. The other alternative is to use PBR if needed.

Jon

Thanks. Following on from this I have a scenario where I want traffic to use a backup link when the main link is unavailable.

My plan is to have static routes which point to the main link and redistribute these into EIGRP. For the backup link I will have the same static routes which are redistributed into EIGRP but pointing to a different next

hop with an AD of 200. Having not done this before I just want to be sure this will work.

Yes, this should work fine as long as the static routes have identical subnet masks, making them identical routes.

Victor

The main link isn't directly to our network its through a subsidury company who we don't share routing information with so we would have no idea if this link went down. We would have to be informed from our subsidury if the link went down so the only solution I can think of would be to use a manual process and remove the routes to the main link if there was a problem. The routes with the higher AD should then kick in.

Im not sure I have the full picture.

With whom does the main router peer?

If not the subsidiary, with whom?

If you dont exchange routing information with them, to whom are you trying to advertise routes to your servers?

maybe a drawing would help and a detailed explanation.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card