cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add additional 4404

gginty
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have two 4404 and use WCS to manage about 160 AP's. This was set up a while ago and I have been given the task of installing another 4404.

My question is, besides running the startup wizard for the 4404, configuring the core router and adding the new 4404 to WCS, what steps are ncessary to join the new 4404 to the pool so that the AP's can be ballanced across all three controllers?.. I have taken a look at the documentation and I have seen any references for adding addition controlles once the initial system has been set up?

6 Replies 6

ehlers.kevin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

1) You'll want to go into the "Controller->General" settings and change the mobilty and rf groups (they're different) to be the same as the other controllers.

2) Then, go to "Controller->Mobility Mangement" and add the mac addresses and ip addresses of the other controllers.

3) Make sure "Security->AP Policies" has "accept self signed certs (SSC)" and "accept manufacturer installed certs (MIC)" checked. Otherwise, the APs won't join the new controller.

4) On the APs, change the "Wireless->All APs->(click on the ap name)->High Availability" and set the primary, secondary and tertiary controllers per AP.

5) If you have mesh APs, you'll have to add their mac-addresses to the "Security->Mac Filtering" database.

-Kevin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can always copy the config and change much less like the ip addresses. You will still have to add the mobility and rf groups (mac addresses)

:)

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

On a similar note, WCS is really cool for this. You can put controllers into config groups, and it makes it easy to bring a new controller up to spec. Plus it will backup your configs, track users, etc.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not criticizing Kevin, but I have no faith in #4. Firmware 5.2.178.0 has identified a bug in the "High Availability" feature and won't work.

Until the new firmware comes out, you'll have to do it the old-fashion way.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. Are you talking about CSCsx62267 ? I hadn't seen that one yet. :-)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kevin,

I tried unsuccessfully to find the bug ID which I saw earlier this year.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card