Views
Helpful
Replies

unlocking user owned spa-2100 with admin and user accounts passworded

freeman-a
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community:

i have a linksys spa-2100. it was purchased in 2006 (marking indicates 2005 model). i was using it with Zingotel who is now defunct. they set a lock on the user and admin accounts with a unknown user/password combinations. i have tried all of the IVR and web based reset functions that i can find anywhere on the web and all require a password. since Zingotel is no longer even in business, their phone numbers are dead, their website is gone, etc., there is no way to obtain an unlock or password for it. Miracle Telecom has recently appeared and they claim to be able to use the Zingotel configured devices thus they clearly have the passwords. Miracle claims to have no connection with the former Zingotel, but this is clearly not true OR they have a proceedure to unlock any spa-2100. they would not be able to unlock these devices to use with their services unless they got the codes/passwords from Zingotel or have a method to unlock them.

many web discussions indicate that there is a firmware upgrade/abort during upgrade proceedure to unlock the device. i have also seen pictures of both sides of the board online. these indicate a JP1 which is a three pin jumper with a jumper in the pin 2-3 position. is this a method of hardware reset? i have no issues with opening the box as there are no seal marks, this device is my own, and the warranty is long out of date at any rate.

please advise. if responding, please also CC to my email as well.

freeman-a

20 Replies 20

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi freeman-a,

There is no way to break into a SP locked device. There are no backdoors. The device is useless to you at this time.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

>Hi freeman-a,

>

>There is no way to break into a SP locked device. There are no backdoors. The device is useless to you at this time.

>

>Regards,

>

>

>Patrick

>----------

Dear Patrick:

thank you for answering.

however, there are several proceedures listed on various places on the net regarding a firmware upgrade that is aborted in process (perhaps that is not the best description) that will clear out any passwords.

also, what are the jumpers for? there is one three pin installed and one two pin not installed.

where can schematics for this device be obtained?

Regards, freeman-a

Hi freeman-a,

The Sipura > Linksys > Cisco SPA products were designed to be inherently secure, as demanded by service providers.
This is why once a service provider locks the device [their device that they allow you to use] the device is permanently locked.

I cannot share schematics, circuit diagrams, or internal device settings.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

>Hi freeman-a,

>

>The Sipura > Linksys > Cisco SPA products were designed to be inherently secure, as demanded by service providers.
>This is why once a service provider locks the device [their device that they allow you to use] the device is permanently locked.

>

>I cannot share schematics, circuit diagrams, or internal device settings.

>

>Regards,

>

>Patrick

>-----------

Dear Patrick:

what is the jumper for? "JP1" there is also another jumper that is labeled but not installed/

where would one find schematics? do you have said but are unable to release? the device is long out of warranty and is not even being produced.

also, this device was NOT from the telco. it was from another source. what does a new phone company do when this device is used after another goes defunct?

another VSP says that they can get it to work. are they (A) lying? (B) mistaken? (C) have inside knowledge that they are claiming they don't? (D) able to unlock using some proceedure that is not available to users?

thank you for responding.

freeman-a

>Hi freeman-a,

>The Sipura > Linksys > Cisco SPA products were designed to be inherently secure, as demanded by service providers.
>This is why once a service provider locks the device [their device that they allow you to use] the device is permanently locked.

>I cannot share schematics, circuit diagrams, or internal device settings.>

>Regards,

>Patrick

Dear Patrick:

that is NOT true. I UNLOCKED my spa-2100. why would you say such a thing? i now have admin, two line, and user access to my device.

why are schematics not available anywhere? the device is out of production and obviously SOMEONE has them.

for anyone who needs to unlock one of these or any in the Sipura/Linksys family, just email me. i have several solutions.

freeman-a

Hi freeman-a,

I'm glad that you were able to unlock your device/s.

I have been told by several people that this process is impossible. Seems like you've proven that to be incorrect. I apologize for misleading you, but I've been assured that it's  impossible... I'm not sure what to say...

If you'd like to help others, consider posting your email address because nobody knows how to contact your for the unlock instructions. Alternatively, post the instructions here on the community. The Community is designed to allow the community to help each other...

If you don't mind sharing with me, I'd love to know how you unlocked your SPA2100. I am at paborn at Cisco.com

I can't explain why schematics are not available, that's just the way that Cisco operates. I'm not a policy maker. :-)

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Freeman -a,

Can you please share how were you able to unlock you spa 2100 ? I'm having the same problem.

Please email to the following adress : cas123_us@yahoo.com

Best Regards

Al

TheVoiptec
Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes we don't try the basic step. Have you tried  log in without the username and password ?

Hi TheVoiptec,

Great idea. He said that he gained access to his device so he's all set.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

On Jun 11, 2009 3:22 PM  in response to: freeman-a, "TheVoiptec" said:
>
>Re: unlocking user owned spa-2100 with admin and user accounts passworded
>
>Sometimes we don't try the basic step. Have you tried  log in without the username and
>password ?

On Jun 11, 2009 5:00 PM  in response to: TheVoiptec, "Patrick Born" said:
>
>Re: unlocking user owned spa-2100 with admin and user accounts passworded
>
>Hi TheVoiptec,
>
>Great idea. He said that he gained access to his device so he's all set.
>
>Regards,
>
>Patrick

Dear TheVoiptec:

i did try that to no avail. good suggestion though.

Dear Patrick:

in response to your earlier post, i am a little embarrassed about how i unlocked it. i had the
device open and was looking at it and fiddling with it, and was about to put it on a bench and
start fiddling with it on a board-trace level both with equipment and pinpouts of the chips
involved. then i dug about on the net and found some very effective and easy brute force
password crackers and was going to try one of those first. so i put the SPA-2100 back on an
ethernet port and Voila!, it was unlocked. the things i did could conceivably be:

1) having it out of the box (seems unlikely that this would unlock it)
2) having it disconnected from the net for a number of days or
3) having it unpowered for said amount of time (both possible is the passwords were stored in
volitile memory, but i doubt that such is true and cannot confirm without further investigation)
4) or, simply having handled it and perhaps a mild zap of somekind.

the odd things i note after the unlock:
1) there were NO passwords when i checked and found it unlocked.
2) the options that had been previously programmed into it by Zingotel appeared in the places
appropriate. now, it seems to me, and i cannot verify this, that i had a VoIP company BEFORE
Zingotel who "took over" after that company crashed and burned.

now, if Zingotel was the original provider, then it would make sense that their options
(addresses of servers, configuration files, and the like) came back as the "factory defaults"
when the memory got "lost". does anyone know this history of who came before Zingotel? i may be
wrong and i can't seem to find any records that indicate there was another company that i got
the SPA-2100 from, but it sure seems to me that i got the SPA-2100 from someone else originally.

DISCLAIMER: i do NOT have any relationship with Mix Networks, who is now my new VoIP provider

for my second VoIP line. i am ONLY a customer. i do not benefit at all from them except as a

customer.

with that said however, i have wonderful things to say about Mix Networks who has become my new
second provider. they are courteous, available for calls sales, customer service, AND tech
support calls. they helped me set up my SPA-2100 with all the options being up to me, sort of
"the balls in my court" so to speak. great company and willing to deal with the customer with a
"mom and pop" kind of feel even though they are a big commercial outfit (there customer base is

business not residential). they even matched Mircale Telecom's price plan even though they did

not intent to originally offer such an inexpensive plan. i would recommend them to anyone who is

seeking a new provider.

On another related note: i found several proceedures to unlock other VoIP devices in my search for the

scoop on this one. if anyone needs help with this or any of the other VoIP ATA's, feel free to contact me

at the address below. like i said above, i was about to put the 2100 on a bench and poke around with it

(WITHOUT schematics, *ahem* *clears throat*, PB) and am confident i would have found a solutions rather quickly at any rate.

Regards, -A. Freeman email: t p m a k e r {at} e a r t h l i n k {dot} n e t

Hi freeman-a,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community. I'm glad that you now have a working spa2100.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Dear All:

having an odd small problem with my spa-2100. it is now working well with my new VoIP company, but they

don't have as much experience with this particular device. neither of us, myself or Mix Networks, are sure if

it is "them" or my device.

they have a setting in their system for "ring interval". when this is set to 15 seconds, i get 3 rings(3 x 5 seconds)

and then the call goes to voicemail. if i set it to anything higher (i would like it around 6 or 8 rings), the call actually

gets dropped or "dead air". they have tested the system by directing my calls to another setup besides mine, one

in-house and not using my equipment or connection but with my account, and the call acts normally.

thus, i am suspecting that there is a setting in the 2100 that is doing this. i will be going through the settings

in greater detail with the manuals et cetera, but a first look at the user, admin, and advanced settings pages

didn't find anything obvious to do with this issue. i am sure i have missed something, but any help here would be

great.

anyone know about this? thanks.

- freeman-a

Hi freeman-a,

I'm trying to get some help for you on this. I don't have a 2100 in my lab, so I can't do much myself.

Hopefully someone in the community can respond and help us.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi freeeman-a,

Try modifying the Voice > User > Call Forward Settings > Cfwd No Ans Delay:

This setting affects how long the station should ring for. On my SPA2102, it's at 20 by default for 5.2.5 firmware. The SPA2100 firmware is very similar to the SPA2102...

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: