Views
Helpful
Replies

Measuring 20mb line

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

We've been using speakeasy.net to measure a new circuit that we're bringing up. Speakeasy is capping our upload speed at 10mb (or we think they are), so I'm wanting to find out if there's an easy way to tell if we're getting the full 20mb. The input/output counters aren't correlating with 20mb, more like 2.2mb (2282000) is out input rate, but we're getting about 18mb down. Our up speed is even worse because in the router it shows 966000. Any other way to measure this?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is an internet circuit, contact the ISP. You may be surprised that most of them have FTP sites where you can send files to test your speed.

Testing the speed with 3rd party carriers can produce random results since your ISP is selling you 20Mbps to their network, not to every site in the internet.

As for the counter in the router, did you try changing the load-interval to 30seconds on the interface?

__

Edison.

I haven't changed the load interval. Am I looking at the right counters?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The input/output counters under the interface will indicate the throughput on that interface at that moment. In some interfaces, it defaults to 5 minutes which does not provide an accurate picture of the load at that particular moment but a 5 minute average.

You can change the load-interval to 30 seconds to produce a more accurate representation of the current load on the interface.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Two years ago, me and my colleagues where doubting the bandwidth our provider was giving us. They say it's a 2mb circuit but we believe it was less than half.

After a search, I recommended we use Neon Software's CyberGauge v6.0.

After saving the output in an HTML file and a graph in JPEG, we submitted our findings and the ISP went, "He he he ... Opsie ... Me bad."

Does this help?

NOTE: Neon Software has been swallowed up by Solarwinds.

recently I worked on testing users QOS profiles and calibrating them so when users test against our servers they can see we are selling them what they have paid for.

1st I noticed s that Ookla was giving a close reading for download but was inaccurate for upload (we use myspeed now)

I also noted that if we needed to show customers they are getting 10Mb...well we needed to be a bit more generous to allow for overhead. Testing with a traffic generator is not the same as testing from a PC.

As mentioned my Edison, load-interval needs to drop to 30s to obtain better reading.

And lastly, it's important that you test against providers servers.

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: