Views
Helpful
Replies

Clarification on bpdufilter vs bpduguard

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

On 3750 and 2950 ports in which hosts and servers will connect to, my intention is prevent loops in case people accidentally plug in devices (non hosts).

That said, if I enable 'spanning-tree bpdufilter' is there any need or benefit if I enable 'spanning-tree bpduguard' on same port?

It sounds like bpdufilter should take care of that situation since it does not send or receive BPDUs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

it is the opposite:

BPDU guard is the right tool here.

with bpdufilter is enough to take a cross-over cable and to connect two ports to create a loop.

The key difference is that a port configured fro bpduguard still sends out its own bpdus so you connect two ports with bdpuguard with a crossover cable they detect each other and the loop can be avoided.

BPDU filter is more suited for service providers environments.

We use bpduguard combined with portfast and storm control.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

it is the opposite:

BPDU guard is the right tool here.

with bpdufilter is enough to take a cross-over cable and to connect two ports to create a loop.

The key difference is that a port configured fro bpduguard still sends out its own bpdus so you connect two ports with bdpuguard with a crossover cable they detect each other and the loop can be avoided.

BPDU filter is more suited for service providers environments.

We use bpduguard combined with portfast and storm control.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card