cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-toSite VPN -- Can't see thru tunnel.

IanSmithWNC
Level 1
Level 1

I have a curious situation with group-to-group VPN.

I have a RV042 in my corporate office (192.168.0.x) with tunnels defined to a RV082 in New York (192.168.1.x) and to a RV042 in Aliso Viejo (192.168.10.x). The tunnels appear to be rock solid and I can access both of the remote routers' management screens from corporate.

I can also access devices on the New York LAN, as I would expect. But all I can see on the Aliso Viejo network is the router itself. While the distant router can ping addresses on the LAN, I can't get responses to a ping (or to anything else) on the Aliso Viejo LAN from my end of the tunnel.

There is a slight complication in that the Corporate RV042's access to the internet is independant from the primary Internet path. My gateway is a Netscreen firewall connected to Telepacific T1's. The RV042 has its own path to the Internet via a Covad terrestrial radio connection (and my own PC has that as it's gateway). But none of this appears to be relevant to my problem as the New York and Aliso Viejo tunnels both take this path and New York works fine.

I've compared the settings of both tunnels in minute detail and can't find anything to explain why one reveals it's LAN and the other doesn't. Firmware in all devices is current.

Suggestions?

1 Reply 1

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

The main that I would check is if the devices on the Aliso Viejo office are using the RV042 as the default gateway, meaning, when you look at the IP address configuration on the units connected to the router, are they using the IP address of the RV042 as the default gateway? Or are they pointing the traffic somewhere else?

If they are not using the RV042 as the actual Default Gateway then they won't be able to send any traffic back through the tunnel.

I hope this helps.