cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400n: Sharing printer between VLANs

twhitehou
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a wrvs4400n to connect a small business and personal pc's and printers to a common network.  The business is on VLAN1 and the personal hardware is on VLAN2.  I've done this so that their is some issolation.  I'd like to share a business printer on VLAN1 with pc's on VLAN2.  Is this possible with inter-vlan routing or some other method?  The DHCP server is a Windows Server 2000 on VLAN1 and DHCP relay is on.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, when inter-VLAN routing is enabled on WRVS4400N, computers in one VLAN can see the resources in other VLANs.

So with inter-VLAN routing enabled, should I be able to see the print server in Windows 'Network Places', and locate the printer that way or run 'Add Printer', select 'Network Printer' and browse for it by server?

Thanks for you help!

twhitehou
Level 1
Level 1

I have several questions related to the LAN Setup page of the WRVS4400n.

DHCP Server Choose:IPv4:(the capabilities & implementation of this section are very confusing)

1) Do each of the VLAN configurations allow for different subnets?

2) How does this work with DHCP Relay?

2) If the answer to Q1 is yes, then is it valid to turn on DCHP on the router on (turn of DHCP Relay) for VLANs that do not have an external DHCP server?  In other words, can the router serve DHCP addresses on some VLANs can have an external DHCP server on others?

3) What is the function and purpose of the "IP Reserved for Internal Usage" field?

4) Should the "IP Reserved for Internal Usage" value be the same for all VLANs?

5) I have an external DHCP server on VLAN 1.  It is showing that the network card has 2 IP addresses; the one I assigned and one with the address of the "IP Reserved for Internal Usage".  Is this expected or is this a conflict?

6) I'm assuming that if DHCP Relay is used addresses issued by the server will be on the same subnet.

Current VLAN 1 Configuration:

LAN Setup VLAN-1 WRVS4400N.JPG

Current VLAN-3 Configuration:

LAN Setup VLAN-3 WRVS4400N.JPG

Thank you,

Tom

1) Do each of the VLAN configurations allow for different subnets?

SR: When multiple VLANs are created, each VLAN is mapped to a different class C subnet by default. You can see this on the Setup>LAN page.

2) How does this work with DHCP Relay?

SR: In the current firmware, only VLAN1 is allowed to enable DHCP Relay. For other VLANs, this option is not supported, and thus grayed out. When the DHCP Relay is enabled, it will relay all DHCP requests from all VLANs to the specified DHCP Server.

2) If the answer to Q1 is yes, then is it valid to turn on DCHP on the router on (turn of DHCP Relay) for VLANs that do not have an external DHCP server?  In other words, can the router serve DHCP addresses on some VLANs can have an external DHCP server on others?

SR: Each VLAN can has its DHCP Server enabled or disabled independently.

3) What is the function and purpose of the "IP Reserved for Internal Usage" field?

SR: Due to the router's internal architecture, one LAN IP address needs to be reserved for its built-in wireless access point to function.

4) Should the "IP Reserved for Internal Usage" value be the same for all VLANs?

SR: That's correct.

5) I have an external DHCP server on VLAN 1.  It is showing that the network card has 2 IP addresses; the one I assigned and one with the address of the "IP Reserved for Internal Usage".  Is this expected or is this a conflict?

SR: Could you show a screenshot for what you meant by "the network card has 2 IP addresses". The IP Reserved for Internal Usage is used by the internal access point, so I am not sure why it will show up on the network card of the external DHCP Server.

6) I'm assuming that if DHCP Relay is used addresses issued by the server will be on the same subnet.

SR: Yes, it's correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: