Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1400 Bridge coax connection question

I have two AIR-BR1410A-A-K9 bridges that I need to use for connecting a vehicle to a building network. The bridge on the building will use the conventional mount and network connection. The other bridge is going on top of a vehicle (bigger than a UPS truck, smaller than an 18-wheeler). There are several existing coax runs from the interior of the vehicle to the roof of the vehicle. All runs terminate with an N connector inside and an NMO outside and are 50 ohms. I would like to use these runs for the Bridge, but the F-connectors/cables for the 1400 are 75 ohms.

Specifically, I want to put the injector inside the vehicle and use the existing vehicle coax runs and mount the bridge on the roof of the vehicle. I have found the F-to-N and F-to-NMO adapters. What kind of trouble am I going to run in to running the Ethernet and power over cables/connectors with mismatched impedance? I'll try to step through the entire run:

Ethernet 100Base-T and DC Power connects to the injector

F-type coax (75 ohm) cables from injector run 4 feet to connect to F-to-N adapter (not sure what the impedance is here)

F-to-N adapter connects to N connector at coax patch panel inside vehicle (50 ohm at panel connector)

Patch panel coax travels approximately 40 feet to roof-mounted NMO connector (50 ohm)

NMO-to-F coax adapter connects to NMO (not sure of the impedance here)

F-coax runs 10 feet to Bridge (75 ohm)

Will this work, or do I need to build a couple of transmatch stubs (I assume I would need one at each end)?

I have a good RF guy working with me on this project, but we are stumped since the coax carries the ethernet and power, not "normal" RF signals.

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Should be no problem.

There will be some additional loss on the radio signal, there will possibly be a small amount of stress on the transcievers, but nothing it can't handle.

As for the power; it's DC, so there is no "impedance" to the conductors, just plain'ol' DC resistance ... which will be virtually identical between the two type of cables (50 and 75 ohm coax).

Good Luck

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card