cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Monitoring and Recording

ahmedsalahomar
Level 1
Level 1

What is the Cisco Solution which make it available for the customer to monitor the current statues of the Calls, Even internal calls ( I mean whose using his IP Phone now and for what ) , and also what is Cisco Solution for calls recording in Cisco Call Manager System

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ahmed,

I remembered reading this thread back last summer. Michael from Cisco gave an extremely fine answer to this good question. Please note the 3rd party products involved;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&topicID=.ee835d2&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc0d69b/0#select...

CCM 6.x/7.x supports the "new" "architecture" for Call Recording.

This means a change in the method used to record calls that is supported on some IP Phone models.

There is now a "built-in" architecture that does not require the configuration of "Span" ports etc. as shown below. You will however note that there is still a need for the ***"Recording Server/Software".

Pre - 6.X

Certain Cisco partners have provided customers with the ability to monitor and record using separate applications. Within Cisco, products such as Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise can perform call monitoring. These products deal with the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) streams at the computer telephony integration (CTI) application layer. The observer receives RTP through a personal computer. Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) is often required to monitor and record calls.

The drawbacks of this approach include:

•SPAN is difficult to configure.

•Site-specific equipment is often required.

•Monitoring applications have limited scalability.

•Supervisors must listen to monitored and recorded calls through their computer.

•No provision for call admission control (CAC) or region-based codec negotiation

6.x/7.x

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Silent Monitoring Feature

Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1), the silent monitoring capability:

•Allows supervisors to monitor agents through a Cisco Unified IP phone.

•Allows monitored calls to be managed like normal calls (for example, these calls can be transferred, held, or added to a conference).

•Does not require SPAN.

•Is network topology-friendly.

•Plays through a phone, not a personal computer.

•Supports CAC, bandwidth reservation, and codec negotiation.

•Provides notification tones when legal compliance is required.

The Unified Communications Manager silent monitoring and recording feature is invoked through CTI using Java Telephony Application Programming Interface (JTAPI) or TAPI instead of the previous method of using SPAN ports.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Recording Feature

Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) there are two recording modes available:

•Automatic recording- All calls are recorded on line appearance; recording is invoked by Unified Communications Manager.

•Selective recording-The supervisor and/or recording server can elect to record temporarily based on business rules and events.

When a recording session is invoked automatically or selectively, Unified Communications Manager delivers the unadulterated speech (two RTP streams) to the recording server through a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunk established between the Unified Communications Manager server and ***recording server.

Call recording in Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) is supported by all 3rd-generation phones (Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G, 7931G, ,7941G, 7941G-GE, 7961G, 7961G-GE, 7970G, and 7971G-GE models).

Silent Monitoring/Recording Architecture

Cisco has adopted an IP phone-based approach for silent monitoring instead of the typical SPAN approach. The agent's phone mixes the media streams of the agent-to-customer call and sends that stream to the supervisor.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/UC6.1.1/features_apps/CMmonrec.html#wp998251

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ahmed,

I remembered reading this thread back last summer. Michael from Cisco gave an extremely fine answer to this good question. Please note the 3rd party products involved;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&topicID=.ee835d2&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.2cc0d69b/0#select...

CCM 6.x/7.x supports the "new" "architecture" for Call Recording.

This means a change in the method used to record calls that is supported on some IP Phone models.

There is now a "built-in" architecture that does not require the configuration of "Span" ports etc. as shown below. You will however note that there is still a need for the ***"Recording Server/Software".

Pre - 6.X

Certain Cisco partners have provided customers with the ability to monitor and record using separate applications. Within Cisco, products such as Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise can perform call monitoring. These products deal with the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) streams at the computer telephony integration (CTI) application layer. The observer receives RTP through a personal computer. Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) is often required to monitor and record calls.

The drawbacks of this approach include:

•SPAN is difficult to configure.

•Site-specific equipment is often required.

•Monitoring applications have limited scalability.

•Supervisors must listen to monitored and recorded calls through their computer.

•No provision for call admission control (CAC) or region-based codec negotiation

6.x/7.x

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Silent Monitoring Feature

Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1), the silent monitoring capability:

•Allows supervisors to monitor agents through a Cisco Unified IP phone.

•Allows monitored calls to be managed like normal calls (for example, these calls can be transferred, held, or added to a conference).

•Does not require SPAN.

•Is network topology-friendly.

•Plays through a phone, not a personal computer.

•Supports CAC, bandwidth reservation, and codec negotiation.

•Provides notification tones when legal compliance is required.

The Unified Communications Manager silent monitoring and recording feature is invoked through CTI using Java Telephony Application Programming Interface (JTAPI) or TAPI instead of the previous method of using SPAN ports.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Recording Feature

Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) there are two recording modes available:

•Automatic recording- All calls are recorded on line appearance; recording is invoked by Unified Communications Manager.

•Selective recording-The supervisor and/or recording server can elect to record temporarily based on business rules and events.

When a recording session is invoked automatically or selectively, Unified Communications Manager delivers the unadulterated speech (two RTP streams) to the recording server through a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunk established between the Unified Communications Manager server and ***recording server.

Call recording in Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) is supported by all 3rd-generation phones (Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G, 7931G, ,7941G, 7941G-GE, 7961G, 7961G-GE, 7970G, and 7971G-GE models).

Silent Monitoring/Recording Architecture

Cisco has adopted an IP phone-based approach for silent monitoring instead of the typical SPAN approach. The agent's phone mixes the media streams of the agent-to-customer call and sends that stream to the supervisor.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/UC6.1.1/features_apps/CMmonrec.html#wp998251

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob

its been such a long time .. hope evrything going well with you :)

by the way i have customer with CCX 7

the recording not enabled thorugh CCX becuase will be done through QM

however i tried to make normal supervisor monitring but the probelm it ddi not work

i get after a while a message metion the IP pack of monitoring could not reac the Pc

any idea ?

all settings like version 5 configured !!

thank you

Hi Marwan,

Life is great my friend! I'm on Summer vacation right now, just enjoying a nice cup of Java :) I hope that life is treating you well!

I really wish I could help you out here, but we don't run UCCX 7 at this time :(

I will try to look into the integration for this and let you know if anything comes to mind.

Cheers!

Huff

Can this work at a remote site over MPLS to record back to the centralized recording server? Any idea if IPCelerate supports this, if not who can you recommend for the MPLS application of this?

if there is not firewall blocking traffic between subnets it should be ok

check the required tcp udp port for this

serach it in cisco.com

good luck

HTH

by the way my issue above solved by upgrading to SR3 :)

jrogers22
Level 1
Level 1

While CM 6.X offers a new architecture (forked audio) for recording calls keep in mind that this new functionality ONLY works with newer generation phones.

If you have older phones you will need to go with a vendor that supports both forked audio and packet sniffing. Not all vendors support both. The following vendors offer both methods.

www.nice.com

www.Telrex.com

www.verint.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: