Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IGMP multicat configuration

johnstone_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the attached the physical network configuration which requires additional configuration to enable Microsoft NLB to work correctly. The servers are attached to the L2 HP switches.

I have followed the guide from cisco http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml and I have created the static arp entries for each of the server pairs that are load balanced.

However my question is when adding the mac-address-table entry what should I include on each switch?

4507R 1 : mac-address-table static xxxx.xxxx.xxxx vlan x interface po3

4507R 2: mac-address-table static xxxx.xxxx.xxxx vlan x interface po3

Do I need to add the trunk between the 2 core switches also (i.e PO1 on both statements above?)

Many Thanks

Brian

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Brian,

I would add the entry also for po1 if you look at the network diagram you can see that it configures it for both interfaces.

if the direct link po3 fails (rare but possible) a multicast packet has to be forwarded to other cisco switch in order to reach other server in cluster.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for the feedback!

One further question in relation to this. I also have an number for L2 switches uplinked to the 2 4507 core L3 switches in the diagram, would I need to put any configuration on these switches?

Thanks

Brian

Hello Brian,

if there are member servers of the MS cluster on them the answer is yes.

With these commands you are manually building the list of ports out whom to replicate traffic for the multicast MAC address.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

kishan1984
Level 1
Level 1

Are u able to ping virtual ip.

Yes, I can ping the NLB virtual IP, and also the member server IP's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card