cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7914 LED's & VM transfer within General mailbox

jtucker
Level 1
Level 1

I have what I hope are two very simple questions.

First, we have 2 receptionist that both have 2 - 7914 expansion modules connected to their 7940 phones.  The displays work, and do display the names and extensions of employees associated with them.  However, the LED's are not displaying any information about whether a line is in use, on hold, transferring a call, etc etc.  Is there a simple way to enable this feature, which I believe is called 'BLH'?  How can we do this via the CLI?  We are running Cisco Unity Express 3.2 and CCA 2.0.

Secondly, we have a general mailbox setup that roughly 4-5 different people check on a regualr basis.  It seems the only way to transfer a VM from within is to search the user directory.  What we want to be able to do is, transfer directly by a users extension.  is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jeremy

8 Replies 8

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

On the first issue, what are the buttons configured as?  If it is setup as a monitor button or a watch button, the LED should light correctly.

I need to research the second issue.

Thanks for the quick response Steven.  I am honestly not sure, could you tell me how to check, and also assign that feature if it is not already?

Are you using CCA to perform the config? 

In cli, under the ephone you should have a button line.

Button 1:1 2m3 etc

1(button one):1(ephone dn 1)  2(button 2)m(monitor)3(ephone dn 3)

If it was a w instead of an m, it would be a watch button.  What version of IOS are you running?

Steve,

It will all be through the CLI, we found a bug with CCA 1.9 after an upgrade from 48u to 64u that crashed the whole system.  We do have CCA 2 installed, but have yet to completely test it.  As for the information:

Cisco IOS Software, UC500 Software (UC500-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(22)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

When looking at the ephone for the 2 receptionists, they look like this...minus all the extension names.

ephone  45
device-security-mode none
mac-address 0024.14B2.D099
ephone-template 5
username "adunham" password ****

paging-dn 1
type 7960 addon 1 7914 2 7914
button  1:51
!
!
!
ephone  49
video
mac-address 0024.14B2.CE35
ephone-template 5
username "tbarnes" password ****

paging-dn 1
button  1:62
!
!

Thanks,

Jeremy

By removing the names and extensions, do you mean they you have them listed as speed dials?

Also, are you using 7940's or 7960's?

You should have these setup as monitor buttons or watch buttons.  If they are only speed dials, you will not get any BLF indicator.

If you want to monitor ephone-dn 62, you could have something like the following on the first ephone you showed.

ephone  45
mac-address 0024.14B2.D099
ephone-template 5
username "adunham" password ****

paging-dn 1
button  1:51 2m62

Okay, so we are getting closer.  I did the "button  1:51 2m62" through the CLI, and restarted the phone.  However, once the phone comes back up, the LED's do work, but as opposed to the employees name being displayed on the 7914, it replaces it with the users extension.  How do we get the LED's working, and still display the employee name, not the extension number?

You need to change the label of the DN to have this show the name.

So, in your case...

ephone-dn 62

label "John Doe 202"

This would show both on the phone.  Note, that this label configuration will effect all phones that have that DN assigned.  Where the ext said 202 earlier, it will now say John Doe 202.

Thanks so much Steven. I had to go through the 40-ish users DN's and rename all the labels, then I had to go into each of the receptionist ephones and and create the 'watching' feature for all the ephone-dn's, and all is great after a restart.

I am also attaching a screenshot that I found odd, but maybe you already knew about it.  Because there are 40 users, I did not want to go in and create all watching rules, only to find out it did not work.  So I did a test with the first 9 buttons, and after restarting the phone, I noticed that the first 8 names were listed twice, and the last 8 names had vanished from the bottom of the 2nd 7914 console.  For no real reason, I logged into that receptionist CME account, and this is what is the attached screenshot.

First off, notice the 'Line Information' which does offer a drop-down list with all the features.  This was not an option prior to adding all the lines in CLI, and what I noticed is, the top 9 are the first on the phone, and then the consoles take up where the 'Speed Dial Information' begins...hence the duplicate.  I could have deleted the first 8 speed-dials, and it would have all matched.

Anyways, I appreciate all of your help on this. 

Now that this is fixed, any idea on how to transfer calls within a general mailbox via an extension, not the user directory?  ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: