cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security issue with Ciscoworks- "Rogue" router

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

I recently experienced a security issue on my internal network.

Is there a way to get notifications of an unexpected DHCP server (ie, setting up trusted routers, etc) via ciscoworks? I'm on LMS 2.6.

To help clarify the question, here are the details:

I'm in a university environment. We have an independent on-site computer store with their own internet connection.

One of their techs plugged a router into their network to set up all their PCs, which is fine- unfortunately one of the LAN cables was also plugged into one of the University network LAN ports.

The router ended up sharing the allocation of DHCP addresses on the network it was plugged into. The network itself is not heavily used, and there was internet connectivity, so nobody really noticed anything.

We didn't even realize this was happening until we were assigned a private IP address during the test, rather than the expected IP subnet.

If Ciscoworks does not have this kind of capability- does anyone have any tips they are willing to share to help me stay on top of situations like this?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: