Helpful
Replies

INTERNET CONFIGURATION ISSUE

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please can someone help me with this.

In my Access List configuration for our internet users, in order to implement the company's policy. I have one Access List that is to gives users access to the Internet (Web) in the morning and I have another Access list that give another set of users Access to the internet in the evening.

Every day, I have to manually execute the ACL statements at the prescribed time.

My question is: Is there a way I can automate this process in Cisco IOS so that at the specified times, the ACL statements will be executed without my having to log in and doing it every time?

If there is, I will appreciate it if you link me to any material that will give me more information on this.

Thanks.

Thomas

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Edison, but there's one caveat that I've noticed with them. If you have an existing translation in the table when the ACL takes effect, they will still be able to surf the web with that session, but won't be able to open new sessions to other sites.

For instance, if you have someone on MySpace and your access-list drops their traffic at 5:00PM, they can still surf MySpace as long as the destination address doesn't change. I haven't tried this theory on routers, but my ASA at the house does this. I needed to stop internet access at 10:00PM, but I noticed that my son could still play his online game after that. Now, I have an expect script that logs into the ASA at 10:01PM and clears all of the connections.

Kicks him right off :-) LOL!

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi Edison,

Thanks so much for the information. I will try it out to know if it solves my problem.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks and best of regards.

Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card