Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't walk GRE tunnel interface via SNMP

alfonso.cornejo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi to all,

I'm not able to walk a tunnel interface in my router, one day the tunnel came down but after the problem was solved it came up again and since that i'm not able to walk it using snmp, i have 4 other tunnels configured and those i can see them.

I use whatsUp to monitor my network and the support says that there is a problem with the device that i'm monitoring wich is the router, i also tried with different snmp tools and the result is the same, i only see 4 of 6 tunnels.

do you know what can be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What does it mean that you can't walk it? What objects are you polling? What type of SNMP request are you using? what version of IOS is running on this router?

Hi jclarke,

I mean that using snmp i can't see all the tunnels that are configured in the router, i only see 4 and the router has 6, this is the OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2, the IOS version is Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3825-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I also tried with different snmp tools and the result is the same.

Here i attach you some images where you can see the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Post the output of "show snmp mib ifmib ifindex" from this router.

Hi,

Here you have it:

rncleon-cor02-3825#show snmp mib ifmib ifindex

Async0/0/0: Ifindex = 11

GigabitEthernet0/0: Ifindex = 1

Loopback0: Ifindex = 13

Null0: Ifindex = 9

Serial0/0/0: Ifindex = 7

Loopback1: Ifindex = 20

Vlan1: Ifindex = 10

FastEthernet0/1/0: Ifindex = 3

GigabitEthernet0/1: Ifindex = 2

Async0/0/1: Ifindex = 12

Serial0/0/1: Ifindex = 8

FastEthernet0/1/1: Ifindex = 4

FastEthernet0/1/2: Ifindex = 5

Tunnel1002: Ifindex = 14

Tunnel2002: Ifindex = 19

FastEthernet0/1/3: Ifindex = 6

Tunnel1003: Ifindex = 15

Tunnel1004: Ifindex = 16

Tunnel1005: Ifindex = 17

Tunnel1007: Ifindex = 18

rncleon-cor02-3825#

All of the interfaces are here. What is WhatsUp doing to walk the ifTable? Is it using get-next or get-bulk requests? If you do a get on 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.15 do you get a response from the router?

Hi,

It uses a get-bulk, i did the get on 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.15 and there was no answer but i believe the mib-walker doesn't support that sintax because i also tried 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.14 wich is an interface that it is recognized by the whatsup and there was no answer too, i also use the getif snmp tool and i have the same result, just 4 tunnels of 6 and no info using the sintax 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.14 where the 14 is the index of the interface.

You need to do a GET, not a get-bulk or get-next on that OID. You can use the net-snmp toolchain from http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net to do this. I would also be interested if a get-net walk works on ifTable to see this missing instances.

Hi jclarke,

I'll try it using the netsnmp, but i wonder why in all the other routers in the network it works fine, i mean using snmp i see all the tunnels configured?? the ios version is the same.

I'll tell you if it works with the netsnmp.

Thanks alot for your help.

This is most likely an IOS bug, but figuring out which SNMP PDUs work and which do not will be helpful in isolating it.

I understand, i'll use the netsnmp and tell you what happens.

Thanks alot!

Hi jclarke,

I did the test using the netsnmp and there is no result when i perform an snmpget to the specific interfaces that i can't see in whatsup, here are the results:

C:\Program Files\net-snmp\bin>snmpget -v 2c -c cossnmpro 10.233.71.252 IF-MIB::ifDescr.15

IF-MIB::ifDescr.15 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

C:\Program Files\net-snmp\bin>snmpget -v 2c -c cossnmpro 10.233.71.252 IF-MIB::ifDescr.17

IF-MIB::ifDescr.17 = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

and if i ask for one that is seen by whatsup i get the correct result:

C:\Program Files\net-snmp\bin>snmpget -v 2c -c cossnmpro 10.233.71.252 IF-MIB::ifDescr.16

IF-MIB::ifDescr.16 = STRING: Tunnel1004

Do you think i should do an ios upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes. I believe this is related to CSCek30711 which is fixed in 12.4(10).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco