cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750/3560 QoS/queue monitoring via SNMP?

ALAN HARKRADER
Level 4
Level 4

I'm running 12.2(37)SE1 and I'd like to be able to monitor QoS to know whether VoIP voice is being impacted. Ideally, I'd like to know if a packet is ever dropped from the priority queue.

The problem is that I can't seem to find any QoS-related MIB that actually works on the 3750 or 3560 to return any stats about QoS or queues.

We were considering QPM but I don't see how it would do any better with the 3750 or 3560 if there are no stats.

I already have RTR/IP SLA doing simulated calls via the jitter monitor so I know that voice works in general but I'm getting pressed about knowing that it works on *every* port.

Thoughts?

7 Replies 7

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Did you try CISCO-PORT-QOS-MIB ?

HTH

Laurent.

Yes... it returns IndexTypeNew = none and nothing else. No ports, no stats.

So, saying that the 3750/3560 "supports" the CISCO-PORT-QOS-MIB is technically correct but a bit misleading.

I found the following restriction:

- all the counters are 64 bit counters which are only supported in SNMP version 2c.

- The Catalyst 3750 family of switches supports only packet statistics and it does not support Octet statistics due to hardware limitation

Also here is the definition of IndexTypeNew Object:

cportQosIndexTypeNew OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX INTEGER {

none(1),

dscp(2),

ipPrecedence(3),

cos(4),

police(5)

}

ACCESS read-write

STATUS mandatory

DESCRIPTION

"This object specifies the sorting mechanism used to

collect and store the statistical QoS information.

This object value is device dependent."

::= { cportQosStatistics 3 }

It's set to 0 by default so all the stats are per port. You can change this classification by changing the value of this object.

HTH

Laurent.

terry-nolan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you ever find a way to monitor the Ciasco 3750 via SNMP for DSCP stats?  I am having the same issues, I have deployed QPM 4.1 but there seems no way to monitor DSCP only COS values?

Thanks,

Terry

Negative.  I'm running 12.2.(53)SE2 and it's still the same: IndexTypeNew = none.

Thanks for the reply.  From my investigations it appears the 3750's just do not have the basic hardware chipset required to support SNMP DSCP monitoring.......

We are planning to deploy QPM, but the lack of cenral monitoring is a bit of a blow to our aims for the project.  How have you found QPM in your enviroment, any good?

Never got QPM... we're all 3560 & 3750s at the access layer, so...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card