cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multilink bundle bandwidth statement

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is it enough to have your bandwidth statements on the serial interfaces, or should you double that and put it on the multilink bundle interface?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
4 Replies 4

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

I beleieve you should configure it on the physical instead not configure a bandwidth statement on the Multilink interface, since it will not reflect the true bandwidth of the interface as links fail/recover. I could be wrong :)

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

John,

Since the serial interfaces are not configured for layer 3, it will not matter (assuming you're using the bandwidth statement for routing).

Collin,

I'm actually monitoring the multilink bundle with an snmp utility. I wondered if I was getting the correct measurement, but after I posted the original message, I noticed that the bandwidth for the multilink is automatically calculated from the bandwidth of the amount of links I assume. I see the Mu1 has 3088, and I have 2 serial links at 1544. So there's not a problem with the monitoring utility :)

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The bandwidth statement is used for routing protocol purposes only. You can always do a show interface to get the actual bandwidth of the interface.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card