Views
Helpful
Replies

Analog DID caller ID?

dspiewak2634
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am using multiple Cisco 28XX gateways that terminate analog DID lines at both FXS-DID cards and EVM interfaces. No incoming caller ID is available anywhere on calls coming from the PSTN.

Cisco's documentation is vague on this topic - do FXS-DID interfaces actually support incoming Caller ID? Is there even any such thing on an analog DID trunk?

8 Replies 8

srichardson
Level 4
Level 4

The first step is to talk to your service provider. Yes, you can have CLID on an analog DID trunk, but you need to make sure that it has been provisioned.

Secondarily, the timers are critical for receiving proper signalling on analog trunks. In trying to help you answer your question, I came upon two enlightening documents that might help you.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-3353;jsessionid=EB0E2796B86F1154D01AFD14D19EC4AC

http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco/111708-ch3-cvoice.html?page=3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no such thing as CLID on analog DID trunks. Recommend you get ISDN BRI or PRI that will give you both things and more.

jagdbs
Level 1
Level 1

I have never seen Caller ID supported in the analog version of DID. Yes, you can get Caller ID on the digital versions, such as T1 or PRI, but not on pure analog. It might be avialble, but I have never seen it in my 20 yrs.

CLID has been available on analog for many years, however, old PBXs often times did not have the necessary software/line cards to support the features. I'm glad others are finding the data now, too. We have successfully configured CLID on CAS T1s, but again, the interdigit and wink timers took serious tracing to determine the correct settings. I'm not an expert in the IOS, but there is information available in the command reference guides (at least for T1 CAS) if you are able to verify the provisioning with your service provider

dspiewak2634
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I've learned more, so here it is for the sake of any idle curiosity that's out there.

Caller ID over analog DID is indeed possible, and a few telcos actually provide it. It's basically appended to the incoming DID digits, and separated by a delimiter digit (* for example). It's VERY non-standard, however, and the timing and intelligence required to interpret it makes it prohibitive for most manufacturers to make equipment that supports it - Cisco included.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out with this bizarre topic.

That is the same method used for delivering CLID on T1 CAS by some telcos.

I wrote a TCL/IVR script that would allow you to handle that, plus associating a name to CLID:

http://pbevila.fastmail.fm/public/number2name-anidnis.tcl

Thanks to Een that has been the only guy willing to pay for something like that, since the (two? three ?) years that I'm on this forum.

I was told by the local telco that caller id was not availible on I inbound analog trunks

Read the post above that explains how it can be made available using a non-standard method by local agreement.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: