Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2 Discovery Display name question

tinu.karki
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are running Cisco LMS 3.2, when doing a discovery it resolves the IP address of the switch but not the hostname. The switches are discovered but the display name doesnt show the hostmname. We dont use put our switches on DNS, how do i ensure that the display name is the hostname? (i.e. hostname on the switch config)

I have tried various options when doing discovery but none of them will show the hostname as the display name. The discovery is being done through Layer 2 CDP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. There are some example entries already in there. Essentially, an entry will look like:

10.1.1.1 my-router.domain.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to either put your switches' IP addresses in DNS, or add entries to the LMS server's local hosts file so that the address resolution can be performed.

Thanks for that, however "add entries to the LMS server's local hosts file" , could you please let me know how exactly i do this? I found the hosts file c:/windows/drivers/etc but im not sure what exactly i need to add and to which file. thanks in advance.

The file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. There are some example entries already in there. Essentially, an entry will look like:

10.1.1.1 my-router.domain.com

Thanks, adding entries to the hosts file has fixed the issue for most devices.

Joe,

I am resolving names to ip address but not ip address to names if I did an NSlookup. Is this a setting within DNS? Do i need to set up a whole reverse zone?

My problem is the same as what is in this post except none of my devices are resolved in device discovery. They are all ip address. They are all in DNS as well. I can resolve "nslookup hostname" but not the other way around for all devices.

Yes, you will need to setup a reverse zone (i.e. create PTR records to map IP to name). Discovery has to be able to resolve IPs to hostnames.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: