Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP v3 Users not in config

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm not too familiar with SNMP v3, but we have a few CAT 4500s running 12.2(25)EAW1 and some 2800s running 12.4 and when I show the running and startup config, I do not see any SNMP users configured, but if i do a "show snmp user", I get output for the configured users. Where do those come from!? I'm confused... Thanks.

<router># show run | i snmp-server

snmp-server group CWV3 v3 auth notify *tv.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF7F

snmp-server group CWLMS v3 auth notify *tv.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.F

snmp-server view SNMP internet included

snmp-server location ****

snmp-server contact ****

snmp-server host 192.168.59.241 version 3 auth CWLMS

snmp-server host 192.168.59.241 version 3 auth CWV3

<router>#show snmp user

User name: CWLMS

Engine ID: 800000090300001BD4C2470E

storage-type: nonvolatile active

Authentication Protocol: MD5

Privacy Protocol: None

Group-name: ***

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The SNMP users are completely different than 'local' users that used for authentication. I agree that it would be nice to see the SNMPv3 users in the config, but that would take away from the security of SNMPv3. You need to configure the SNMP users.

router(config)#snmp-server user MMessier MyGroup v3 auth md5 RaNgErS priv des56 StAnLeYcUp

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The SNMP users are completely different than 'local' users that used for authentication. I agree that it would be nice to see the SNMPv3 users in the config, but that would take away from the security of SNMPv3. You need to configure the SNMP users.

router(config)#snmp-server user MMessier MyGroup v3 auth md5 RaNgErS priv des56 StAnLeYcUp

Hope that helps.