cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

I have two routers on the network as gateway. The active router has priority of 100 and the standby 80. I enable preempting, and tracking penalty of 30. My question is when the active has 30 deducted from its number,by the time it comes back as active, will the number go back to 100 again?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just another (same as other posters) answer.

Tracking and preempt are often used together, but each are independent.

Let's also consider original active gateway router, that with priority 100, RTRa, and original standby gateway router, that with priority 80, RTRb.

When active gateway (RTRa) goes from 100 to 70, the standby gateway (RTRb) will not become active gateay unless RTRb has preempt.

When the original gateway router (RTRa) goes from 70 back to 100, only if it has preempt would it become the active gateway.

If the original active gateway router (RTRa) went off-line on the gateway interface, the standby (RTRb) would become active gateway without needing preempt.

If the RTRa gateway interface came on-line, it would only become active gateway if it had preempt.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Yes it will go back to 100.

Thanks

Mahmood

huangpo2005
Level 1
Level 1

Yes,I think so.Because you enable preempting!

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

the sequence of events is as foillows:

1-RTR-A active

2-Penalty reduces Priority to 70 => RTR standby.

3-penalty is reversed, priority goes back to 100 => RTR-A active again.

HTH

Sam

fabiosilva7
Level 1
Level 1

For sure, man.

The priority will be set again to 100, when the previous active router takes over its active function again. This is independently of the Preemption, since the preemption feature is used only to give an opportunity to a standy router to become an active router when it has a higher priority.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just another (same as other posters) answer.

Tracking and preempt are often used together, but each are independent.

Let's also consider original active gateway router, that with priority 100, RTRa, and original standby gateway router, that with priority 80, RTRb.

When active gateway (RTRa) goes from 100 to 70, the standby gateway (RTRb) will not become active gateay unless RTRb has preempt.

When the original gateway router (RTRa) goes from 70 back to 100, only if it has preempt would it become the active gateway.

If the original active gateway router (RTRa) went off-line on the gateway interface, the standby (RTRb) would become active gateway without needing preempt.

If the RTRa gateway interface came on-line, it would only become active gateway if it had preempt.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: