cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Permanent CAM Entries on 6500 CATOS 8-5-8

scott.k.wilson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6500 running CATOS 8-5-8 where we have had to configure Permanet CAM entries due to issues with the Checkpoint ClisterXL 'Float' IP MAC Address.

What I need to know is how is the number of Permanent CAM entries calculated.

If you do a 'show cam permanent' the entries are displayed by VLAN. So therefore the number of CAM entries displayed matches the VLANS with Permanent CAM's configured.

However is the total number of Permanent CAM's on the Switch equal to one entry per VLAN per Port or just one entry per VLAN regardless of how many Ports have the MAC assigned to it.

i.e if you have 44 VLAN's each with one Permanent CAM assigned to 4 interfaces does this equate to a total of 176 entries on the Switch or is this just calculated as 44 entries

The primary reason for the question is that CATOS 8-5-8 only supports 256 Static/Permanet CAM entries and I am trying to figure out if I am getting close to the max.

2 Replies 2

kishan1984
Level 1
Level 1

just enter sh conf sys command and manually count all the line that begins with set cam permanent

Hi

Thanks for the response....

However....

If you have an entry for the 'set cam permanent' that includes ports 1/1-2 does this count as 1 or 2 entries as far as the max number of permited Permanent CAM within the limit of 256 on CATOS 8-5-8.

I have come across issues with this in the past on an older CATOS ver and I cant remember how the actual number of Permanent CAM entries is calculated.

Somehow I have a suspition that it is per Vlan per Port therefore one entry spanning multiple ports is defined as multiple entries.

I wish Checkpoint didnt use Multicast MAC's with Unicast IP's on their Cluster solution or I would not have this issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card