2900XL Switch IOS Doesn't Supports PortSecurity Command

Unanswered Question
Jun 10th, 2009

im using c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5-XU.bin IOS on my 2900 Switch, but my IOS doesn't has Port-Security command, and i also not be able to erase any Vlan that i have created on 2900XL switch becasue i can't use this command. can some one please guide me what version of IOS should i install on my Switch so i would be able to use advance commands like port security and erase vlan/s.

thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
dario.didio Wed, 06/10/2009 - 04:19

port-security is supported starting from IOS 12.1AX.

The latest version for C2900XL is 12.0

So this feature is not supported on your hardware.

About the VLAN erasing issue, can't you enter the VLAN database using the command

vlan database in priviledged mode, and then delete a vlan?

bravealikhan Wed, 06/10/2009 - 06:34

Thank you very much for your reply, thats mean my 2900XL doen't support IOS version 12.1AX and i can't intall IOS 12.1AX on my 2900XL switch. but would i be able to use port security command on 2950 Switch?

yes i can delete Vlan.dat file, but i would like to delete only one Vlan that i have created among others, i don't want to delete all Vlans, and if delete Vlan.dat it will delete all vlans that i have created.

and would you plz also guide me how i can Rename Vlan default name with my own given name, like Vlan003 to marketing?

sachinraja Wed, 06/10/2009 - 09:29

Hello Ali

You can just use the VLAN commands given below to change the VLAN Name:

switch#vlan database

switch(Vlan)#vlan 3 name marketing

This is just a description for that particular VLAN..

similarly you can delete a vlan by going to vlan database and issuing a no vlan .. for eg if u have vlan 2,3,4 in your switch, and need to remove vlan 2 , you can do it by

switch#vlan database

switch(Vlan)#no vlan 2

and then exit to apply the configuration to the vlan database.

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful.

dario.didio Wed, 06/10/2009 - 23:34

yes port-security is supported on C2950, starting from IOS 12.1(14)EA1.

This Discussion